The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An open letter to each state and territory coroner > Comments

An open letter to each state and territory coroner : Comments

By Marshall Perron, published 4/3/2014

A result of being denied assistance is that many of these deaths are unnecessarily premature, lonely and violent.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Australia has an increasing life expectancy of some 85 years [except for remote indigenous and severely mentally ill persons, who may live some 55 Years]. Most people over 80 are aware that state and federal governments see us as an unwanted, non-contributing, financial burden. Too bad! As long as life remains a pleasure...you're stuck with us.
The reverse of that statement holds as well. Many of us have planned our future, written it out, explained it to our children. Mine know that, if dementia takes hold, I want to die before I'm unable to speak/care for myself. 85% of Australians agree that PAD, physician-assisted-death, should be legalised. It was legalised in the more enlightened Northern Territory for a few months, then made illegal by the Howard government.
I'm unconcerned about the matter. As soon as the Abbott government realises how PAD legislation could save money...ethical concerns will disappear and a PAD law will be passed. I wrote such a statement on the Facebook "Tony Abbott, politician, fan page" [there is such] so perhaps it could be taken up and offered to us in May.
Posted by carol83, Tuesday, 4 March 2014 5:50:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Carol83, unfortunately you are dreaming if you think Abbott will ever say yes to any form of voluntary euthanasia.

His good mate ArchBishop George Pell will make damn sure that never happens....especially now Pell will be the Pope's new bean counter!

There are far too many high-ranking Catholics in the Liberal Party's ranks (Abbott, Hockey, Pynes) to ever allow euthanasia.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 12:47:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Marshall..80% of Boomers who answer my survey on the Boomer site BONZA, have asked for a referendum on the topic.

Unfortunately it is a topic that only the mature age want to debate as it is unpleasant to think about until you are facing death but with permission I would like to use part of your article on the web site to highlight your feelings from the eighties viewpoint.

It is very real to you and your generation and you need support. You have mine.

Brian Murphy
Editor
www.bonza.com.au
Posted by BOOMER, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 6:03:10 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Susonline,
So you think the ALP would agree to it if Abbott doesnt ? I somehow can't see the ALP viewing old age & senility as a reason to knock someone off the perch.
They'd need to knock their Hero off who is pretty old now & still costs us all a small fortune. Must be in a pretty expensive retirement home eh ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 6:33:29 AM
No Individual, I never said that Labor would agree either.
All politicians are too scared to battle with the Christian lobby on this issue.
None of them care what the electorate actually want.
And I am aware that if I said the sky was blue, you would disagree...
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 10:40:43 AM
if I said the sky was blue, you would disagree...
Suseonline,
this is your lucky day, it was fully overcast here. :-)
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 5 March 2014 6:45:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy