The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An Australia Day incident, and a proposal > Comments

An Australia Day incident, and a proposal : Comments

By Jack Smit, published 5/2/2014

A chance meeting with a doctor in rural Australia sheds light on certain maritime incidents.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
When I read this author’s opinion that the only decent act of the Coalition – an “extremely brazen, politically fanatic and rather incompetent Tony Abbott administration” – was the appointment of a footballer, I was going to switch of in disgust. “Politically fanatic” – as opposed to whom or what? The Rudd Government, the Gillard Government? And, aren’t politicians about the business of politics? I know non-politicians who are ‘fanatical’ about their jobs.

As for the totally unnecessary and weird title of Australian of the Year (just for playing football this year), does the government, fanatic or otherwise, actually have anything to do with such a dubious ‘post’? I know people have to be nominated, so surely the fault lies there?

But, I suppose I’m as fascinated by the truly nasty and horrible sometimes like most of us, and I have certainly have a suspicion that this activist deliberately instigated the conversation on illegal arrivals. He admits that most people did not want, and still do not want people arriving by boat – i.e. he admits that Howard’s actions against them was “useful for electoral purposes”. But, he has deemed that most of us are wrong, and he continues to agitate on behalf of people attempting to come to Australia illegally: with a “wry smile”, no doubt. I wonder if he adjusts that smile in a mirror.

All his trip to the hospital really tells us is that a SINGLE doctor has “disdain” for those handling a situation that is now history. Just another opinion, really: nothing to do with ‘wrongs’ of people smugglers and their queue-jumping customers, or with Australians right to protect its borders.

No, Jack Smit is just giving we “spin followers” another lecture on how nasty we are because we don’t agree with him in his desire for open borders and an anything-goes attitude like that of the Rudd/Gillard betrayal of their fellow Australians. One of the big reasons that Labor was kicked out was its total inability to protect our borders.
Posted by NeverTrustPoliticians, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 10:05:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@NeverTrustPoliticians, very thoughtful of you to act as a perfect exemplar of one of the "spin-swallowers" the author identifies. Can I just ask: outside of the Murdoch press and talkback radio, where do you get your information about asylum seekers arriving in Australia?
Posted by speegster, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 11:21:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<Suddenly this burly bloke I had initially so dreadfully mistaken for a hospital orderly was someone who had full knowledge of the shadowy operations aboard HMAS Adelaide, Tobruk, Arunta, Manoora and Warramunga ....>

Less storytelling from the social 'sciences' and some academic independence, intellectual rigor with facts, comparison, argument and balance would be in order. Or is the author modelling the spin he should eschew and even despise?

There are many questions for an academic and some of them might be:

-What is an 'Australian of the Year'?

-How are they selected and is there any direct consultation with the Australians they are supposed to represent as an ideal?

-Whose 'ideal' in fact?

-Relevance?

-Political influence/interference/considerations in selections?

-Cost to the taxpayer, measurable outcome if any and value for money for the taxpayer?

Even in a short persuasive article there is always I believe a responsibility of persons who quote their academic qualification, especially a higher level Degree, to demonstrate the rigor of their education. Otherwise they are just another talking head and likely out to gain some secondary agenda, to lobby. Thankfully the author does indicate up front in his short bio that he has an interest viz., "Jack Smit is a refugee activist and advocate..". I suppose that is why the article comes across as fact-free, balance-free advocacy - ie., spin.
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 12:13:10 PM
Mate I have been bitten by Jumping jacks on the foot. Your Doctor mate was hopeless! Antibiotics? what for? Just let it heal but then I am sure he was some nonsense you dreamed up. Was it Shakespeare who advised against over-egging the pudding?
You are right most of us are sick of the frauds who come here to bludge off us and change Australia to the same rubbish place they have come from.
Posted by JBowyer, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 3:31:33 PM
JBowyer: jumping jack ants are venomous (they actually sting with their tails) and the reactions people have to the sting is highly varied including severe allergic reactions. Maybe you were lucky.

Attacking the author is not a sound debating tactic. Try again.

John Howard is known to have lied about the children overboard saga. Isn’t that a hint that some of the rest of the spin may be untrue?
Posted by PhilipM, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 5:12:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Phillip M I have been bitten many times by Bull Ants and Jumping Jacks. It is a very nasty sting, I know! However no anti-biotic will cure the poison in the sting. My point was this was a load of old fluff dreamed up by this plum along with a tirade of lies and abuse.
The bludgers always used to sink their boats as soon as our navy arrived or set them on fire, remember that? Children on board, certainly lets sink or fire the boat and then whine against Australian sailors, disgusting! Also these heroes always managed to save themselves. Women and children always figure in the drowned.
Idiots like you are so obsessed with hatred of our country you want these scum here. The majority have them worked out and applaud Tony Abbot. Gee I bet you and Jack are spewing over that? Ha ha ha!
Posted by JBowyer, Wednesday, 5 February 2014 5:39:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy