The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's the Other Oscars - and yet again the winner slips away > Comments

It's the Other Oscars - and yet again the winner slips away : Comments

By John Pilger, published 3/2/2014

This is a 'vintage year', say Hollywood's hagiographers on cue. It isn't. Most movies are made to a formula for the highest return, money-fuelled by marketing and something called celebrity.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Could this fairly meaningless rant be John Pilger's attempt to nominate himself and his latest movie, Utopia, for Oscar Celebrity of the Year?
I refer any interested readers to the following from Alice Springs where Utopia recently played to a packed and picked house.
http://www.alicespringsnews.com.au/2014/01/27/pilgers-polemic-wide-of-the-mark-on-australia-and-aborigines/
Posted by halduell, Monday, 3 February 2014 10:41:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gosh John, thanks for this. I mean without leadership from you and the glittering Pilgerati, some of us might have gone to the cinema and actually enjoyed ourselves. At least now, we'll be able to temper our pleasure with reflections on our cultural inferiority and commercial naivety. What would we do without you?
Posted by Senior Victorian, Monday, 3 February 2014 10:48:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The point of this essay is ?
Posted by Aspley, Monday, 3 February 2014 12:07:45 PM
Yes Senior Victorian

The Pilge is truly the posterBoy of the Pilgeratti chateratti.

Tis time for this long term British citizen to realise that he is universally repugnant. Live with it John.

You are a child of British dreary city, black-armbandism, who never grew in his views.

For Pilger to enjoy a film it would need to be black & white, subtitled from North Korean, downing "Great Satan USA", as boring as English treacle beer and elderberries.

Watch this eternally Pilge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs .

Poyda
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 3 February 2014 12:18:41 PM
I think pillager has finally lost it. I guess that his "involvement" with indigenous peoples has given him a pox that destroyed his brain.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 3 February 2014 5:06:23 PM
It will be interesting to see who gets an
oscar this year and for what. I have to confess
I am a movie buff but the movies that Mr pilger
speaks of I haven't seen. And Mr Robert De Niro
is not one of my favourites. As my grandson would say -
"Too scary."

I prefer actors like Colin Firth,(The Railway Man),
Judy Dench, (Philomena), Geoffrey Rush (The Book Thief),
to name just a few. And directors like Peter Jackson,
(The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug). Then of course
there's Emma Thompson (Saving Mr Banks) to put a light in
anyone's eyes.

I guess movies, like art, are subjective.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 4 February 2014 3:45:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy