The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Just in from Bizarro World: parents who don't work full-time are disadvantaging their children > Comments

Just in from Bizarro World: parents who don't work full-time are disadvantaging their children : Comments

By Sonia Bowditch, published 23/1/2014

But let's not pretend that being in a peer-based, often competitive, group environment for up to ten hours a day is not extremely tiring for young children.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
#...Sometimes at school I miss my mum and dad. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays I go to aftercare but on Fridays Mum picks me up. I'd like every day to be Friday."…#

So says a child of working parents.

…And how much more difficult is the task of a single working parent? …”Things are bad, but they could be worse”!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 23 January 2014 9:49:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank god.

As I have do desire to ever move in "feminist circles", or in fact ever get close to one, I must be safe for now.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 23 January 2014 10:49:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sonja you are a decent person and have attitudes in commonwith most of the decent parents I know. Most value child rearing and spend as .uch time as tbeh can involved with their children. It is why they chose to have them in the first place.
Posted by imajulianutter, Thursday, 23 January 2014 12:55:26 PM
Ha ha ha ha! Sonia, you just know that the majority of commenters on this site will not read the article you refer to and will therefore not know what the article actually said. And they will love your jibe at "The sisterhood". It was all an exercise to see what comes out of the woodwork, right?

Anybody really interested in the increasing pressure and necessity on women to participate in the oh-so-important free market place with its focus on growth, growth, growth would do well to start with reading the report by Maria Shriver http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/women/report/2009/10/16/6789/the-shriver-report/
True, done in the US of A. But there are many Aussies here who think we are much to soft with our welfare here in Oz anyway and dream of a capitalist society of the US kind.

Sonia, with children, you would need a very well earning partner, or yourself have an above average earning capacity to enjoy the luxury of baking pikelets with your children without some form of support from welfare in the form of parental payments. Even if just a top-up.
Posted by yvonne, Thursday, 23 January 2014 5:24:45 PM
Yes indeed, hands up all those modern women who would have just loved to have stayed home full time with the kiddies like their mums did?
Yes, probably most of you.

Now, hands up all the modern fathers who would have loved their wives to stay
home with the kids and not worked to bring in money at all?
Hello? Anyone?

Most of us had no choice.
We weren't living back in the 'good old days' when one income was enough, and the little woman stayed home and did what she was told.
And no, we didn't both work for luxuries at all.
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 23 January 2014 8:59:51 PM
So whatever happened to the "Great Dream"?

In the US it started to collapse because of imported cheap labor from Mexico that drove down their overall standard of living.

Now throw in a period of high inflation and never-ending housing bubbles and some things start slipping out of financial reach while the market gets flooded with all sorts of gadgets to distract us all.

Then big business realised they had a large available workforce already on-hand that they could also underpay - women!

Everybody working and everybody consuming more than ever before! 24 hour shopping for all, and all it costs is the end of the traditional Family Unit.

All these things - minimum wages, inflation and the promotion of rampant consumerism - are the product of unregulated corporate greed, and it's getting worse. The gap between the rich and poor is growing faster and faster.

It's been said that "people are meant to be loved and things are meant to be used" but it's the other way around - people are being used and don't we just love our toys and goodies.

Perspective is a sad thing to lose and some people never get it back.
Posted by wobbles, Friday, 24 January 2014 12:43:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy