The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Just how science-minded are we? > Comments

Just how science-minded are we? : Comments

By Alanta Colley, published 15/1/2014

In 2006-07 Australians made a total of 589,796 Medicare rebate claims for acupuncture performed by medical practitioners, yet acupuncture doesn't work.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
if acupuncture is such a sham, why is Harvard University studying its efficacy? Or are they so easily bamboozled and hoodwinked?

Acupuncture works for me, it relieves the pain of arthritis on the base of my left thumb, but it works much more slowly on a sprained shoulder, but it works nonetheless. And the folks who set it up at the cathedral church wellness centre here in the Philippines I find quite utterly trustworthy and not easily duped.

"There are 2 ways of being fooled:
one is to believe things that are not true;
the other is to refuse to believe things that are true."

-Soren Kierkegaard
Posted by SHRODE, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 9:19:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...An enjoyable article...A Mothers remedy for blocked salivary glands...Gargle lemon juice...It works but why?
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 9:35:53 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The sort of credulous rubbish put forward by SHRODE is an example of the very basis of the so-called 'proof' offered by the proponents of non scientifically ratified medicine - otherwise known as alternate medicine. Cherry picked results are only one of any number of false indicators put forward by the gullible proponents of modern witch doctor medicine, although an inability to distinguish between causal outcomes and contingent outcomes is a mandatory requirement across the board. Regretfully, this requirement is readily available - largely due I believe to an education system that teaches by rote rather than by inculcating a capacity to think rationally in children from an early age. Also regretfully, this educational deficiency under the present federal government will be deliberately enhanced rather than addressed as the pernicious issue that it is.
Posted by GYM-FISH, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 9:57:07 AM
I have no love for the present federal government, but there is hope.

I hope that, as they rush to strip away everything that is not to their liking and/or is superfluous, that they identify using tax money to subsidise alternative health care (non-care? careless?) and simply rule it out, in all of its forms and by whatever name.

Evidence based health care is justifiable, quackery is not.

Come on, Joe Hockey. Add this to your list and apply the wrecker's ball immediately.
Posted by JohnBennetts, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 10:52:51 AM
Yes we all have to worship at the altar of the new religion or the church of scientific materialism.
The ruling/reigning dogma being - scientists have said it therefore it must be true.
Yes science has created many useful techologies which have obviously helped humans to survive and prosper.
But what are its baneful limitations?
This reference describes many of them.
http://www.aboutadidam.org/lesser_alternatives/scientific_materialism/index.html
Modern Western medicine is good for emergency crisis intervention, patching people up who have been injured and even smashed up, and for its sophisticated diagnostic tools
Apart from that much of its drugs and surgery approach to disease is essentially a form of barbarism which eliminates psychological and emotional factors, and of course Consciousness with a capital C.
What is needed is a systems approach to healing and well-being based on the understanding that the body-mind-complex is first and foremost an ENERGETIC system. A systems approach that uses the best of mostly natural modalities of healing - nutrition, Ayurveda, Traditional Chines Medicine including herbs Chi-Kung (even Feng-Shui), homeopathy, hatha yoga and pranayama, and various kinds of massage, especially those that recognize and take into account the patterns or flows of Chi or Prana throughout the body what Ted Kaptchuk called The Web That Has No Weaver.

It also dis-empowers or infantilizes people who have been taught to give "god"-like powers to the men in white coats (our contemporary witch-doctor-priests). It disempowers people to even take responsibility for what they put in the mouths, or to make the necessary "life-style" changes if they wish to regain their health.
Bodily we are the product of both what we put in our mouths, the way we breathe, our posture, and our mostly unconscious "life-style" habits or patterns, ALL of which effect and obstruct the subtle energies of the body-mind-complex.
Much/most dis-ease conditions (both chronic and acute) are caused by what people put in their mouths on a long term basis - all of those packets/cans/bottles of toxic chemicals that are sold as "foods"
Speaking of nutrition, up until recently the topic of nutrition was hardly even mentioned in most medical schools.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:00:12 AM
"Speaking of nutrition, up until recently the topic of nutrition was hardly even mentioned in most medical schools."
Rubbish!
It has always been covered well and truly.
Where did you get that information?
I work in the health industry, so I have some idea, how about you?

Surely if medically trained doctors also choose to use 'alternative therapies' that is a good thing?
Acupuncture does work for some people obviously, otherwise the practice would have been dropped long ago. It did work for me.

The medical practitioners of today are taught to view the holistic care of patients, looking at both body and mind, as well as preventative medicine.
If your current doctor does not practice this way, then swap doctors!
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 15 January 2014 11:13:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy