The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Global warming update: hot with a lot of ice > Comments

Global warming update: hot with a lot of ice : Comments

By Anthony Cox, published 10/1/2014

Other measurements contradict the Bureau of Meteorology claim that 2013 was Australia's hottest yet.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Perhaps the author would like a fact finding inquiry into BoM akin to the one on the home insulation scheme. Either way heads must roll. BoM hereby charged with lying to the Australian people. Since the author is unusually keen on numbers and graphs for a lawyer perhaps he should present his paper to a scientific conference where people can spot errors.

FWIW where I live had fewer frosts than normal in 2013. Cloud then kept the temperature range in check all day. Therefore BoM's claim that the diurnal range is compressed seems correct to me. Big mention of the ship stuck in ice. How come no mention of the 50C temperatures in Australia at the same time?
Posted by Taswegian, Friday, 10 January 2014 9:47:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You should rally stick to law Anthony. Pick little bits of evidence that support your case and ignore the elephant in the room. Good lawyer tactics!

Scientists have always said GW will cause more extreme weather events. This is happening more every year - now we have Alaska balmy while Michigan freezes. They explain that as a 'slackening' of the circum-polar jet streams.

But your awesome grasp of science proves they're all wrong?

Another thing, systems as complex as the temperature of the whole Earth and oceans do not change homogeneously and linearly so don't think we're fooled into thinking your graphs provide 'evidence' disproving the scientists' science on global warming.

By the way, I do respect you for being up front about who you represent. But who funds you and Climate Skeptics? I'd love to know who funds Jennifer Marohasy too. Are you just doing your 'climate denial evidence' stuff out of the goodness of your heart to defend 'civilization as we know it?
Posted by Roses1, Friday, 10 January 2014 10:22:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nice title! Could I make a suggestion?

Why don't you join forces with the Singer and create a Mischievous Lawyer's Alliance (MLA)?

The pair of you could combine your intellectual forces to bring us weekly articles. Some of them could be entitled:

- Why We Are Entering Another Ice Age.

- Why God's Children Should Rule The Earth.

- Why All Lawyers Should Be Knighted.

- Why Only Lawyers Should Be Elected To Parliament.

- Why Arctic Vortexes Show Global Warming Is Not Hotting Up.

- Why Lawyers Should All Go To Private Schools.

- Why Lawyers Fees Should Be Tripled.

- Why Legal Training Creates Near Geniuses and Complete Scoundrels.

There, that should do for starters!
Posted by David G, Friday, 10 January 2014 10:35:59 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Taswegian, your anecdotes about frosts were helpful. However, it is clear you did not read the article which says:

"Still, there is no doubt 2013 was a relatively warm year for Australia"

Wether it was a record depends on whether you want to believe the BOM record or every other temperature record. What about that Taswegian?

Good old Roses says:

"Scientists have always said GW will cause more extreme weather events."

No Roses, in fact the IPCC scientists have said the very opposite, which is even if there is AGW it isn't causing extreme weather events; see SREX, the IPCC Special Report into Extreme weather:

http://www.ipcc-wg2.gov/SREX/

Chapter 4 says:

◾“There is medium evidence and high agreement that long-term trends in normalized losses have not been attributed to natural or anthropogenic climate change”
◾“The statement about the absence of trends in impacts attributable to natural or anthropogenic climate change holds for tropical and extratropical storms and tornados”
◾“The absence of an attributable climate change signal in losses also holds for flood losses”

See also the editorial in Nature, the most prestigious pro-AGW science journal:

http://www.nature.com/news/extreme-weather-1.11428

Nature says:

"Better models are needed before exceptional events can be reliably linked to global warming."

Now Roses, you and every other believer in AGW can maintain your faith if you like but don't pretend your position is evidence based or scientific; it is not.

I do however agree with your statement:

"Are you just doing your 'climate denial evidence' stuff out of the goodness of your heart to defend 'civilization as we know it?"

Yep and that I detest waste and stupidity, the 2 defining characteristics of AGW.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 10 January 2014 10:49:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have to correct Mr Cox the fact the Australian Scientists promoting global warming were not reported trapped in polar ice is wrong. I read it in the UK Mail online, twice in fact.
However I did not read this fact in any Australian media? Australian journalism the inability to catch your own posterior in both your hands?
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 10 January 2014 10:52:09 AM
Talking of lawyers, AGW, the great bogeyman, which causes both warming and cooling, also has an effect on lawyers:

http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

As you can see, AGW, along with causing everything else which is wrong with the world also causes lawyers' incomes to increase. Yah.

AGW is now a catch-all phrase, devoid of evidence into which certain people pour their discontent and frustrations. It is also an outlet for the vanity and egos of general mediocrities who can gain status by declaring they are saving the world and are better than those spoil-sports who want real evidence, reliable science and who don't want to fund the indulgences of a pack of whingers.
Posted by cohenite, Friday, 10 January 2014 10:55:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy