The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Loneliness…the greatest tragedy of all > Comments

Loneliness…the greatest tragedy of all : Comments

By Bernard Toutounji, published 13/12/2013

Each year, as so many of us wrap gifts, baste the Christmas turkey and look forward to the holiday fun, there is a growing proportion who will neither receive a gift, enjoy a festive meal or have the opportunity to celebrate with loved ones.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Bernard

Thank you for a gentle and timely piece.

In a culture obsessed with individualism and material advancement it is easy for selfishness, greed and cynicism to displace compassion, respect and humility.

A society's true character is defined by its humanity.
Posted by Donkey, Friday, 13 December 2013 9:00:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Possibly lonely people are better off than they ever have been in the past. Community organisations provide recreational facilities. Home Assist whose services I use supplies help for older people to keep up their living place.

Old people living alone have been the objects of suspicion. Witch hunts have targeted old widows whose children have left. People who are old and have not married have been objects of suspicion - women more than men. It was far worse to be alone in the time of the witch hunts than at most other times.

I am 88, and it is completely my fault. It is my fault for having lived this long. Because I have lived this long many of my friends have died or are infirm in mind or body. I am fortunate to have a wife so I am better off than many old men.

However, to say loneliness is the greatest tragedy of all is absolute rubbish. Many people in the world do not get enough to eat. Many people are being killed or maimed by as a result of the conflicts going on. The technologically advanced countries make weapons systems which are mainly at this time used against people in less technologically advanced countries. Human activities devastate the planets. There are many greater tragedies than loneliness. Toutounji, mind your rhetoric.

Possibly Mother Teresa was upset by the United States because most Americans don't subscribe to her brand of mumbojumbo.

There is possibly more concern for the well-being of the lonely than there ever has been. It is the fate of people who live a long life to be lonelier as friends depart. However, an education which encompasses a knowledge of science, nature and the humanities gives one resources to keep one's interest in old age. The internet is great for keeping in touch for my multitude of descendents.

Those without family are lonelier, but there are far worse tragedies than loneliness.

http://www.gradesaver.com/wordsworths-poetical-works/study-guide/section3/ contains Wordsworth's "Daffodils". Nature countered his loneliness. Nature is still a good counter for loneliness.
Posted by david f, Friday, 13 December 2013 9:33:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So what are you doing about it, my friend. Just dragging out the same old Christmas platitudes? Talking about something you don't talk about during the other 364 days of the year?

All these ‘lonely’ people: have you bothered to find out what they have done for themselves to meet other people? Have you ever tried to be friendly to people standing on their own at the edge of a group, only to be looked at as though you were going to mug them?

Most of these so-called lonely people are anti-social to start with. Don’t worry about them; get on with your own life and have a good Christmas.
Posted by NeverTrustPoliticians, Friday, 13 December 2013 10:28:23 AM
Worse than being lonely is being patronised. To presume that you are better off because you have friends and family than someone who does not have these things is to have a strange set of values indeed.

There are many who are surrounded by people all day and night but remain completely miserable. There are many people who have no family nor close friends but feel very much that they are living a worthwhile and happy existence. Happiness and satisfaction are things that come from within and are never dependent on relationships. Once you depend on others for your sense of worth you are bound to compromise your own values in order to maintain those relationships. It is much more important to maintain your personal integrity as a human being than to chase after relationships. If you have integrity people may be attracted to you as a natural occurrence but if you sell your soul for relationships they will be repelled.

It is far more important to be at peace with yourself than to avoid looking lonely. Do-gooders who think they are improving the lot of others by reaching out to them in this way are usually looking for some religious reward or they are trying to convince themselves that loneliness is a terrible condition because if it is not then they may have to question the rationale of some of their own relationships. If you want to help the underprivileged or down on their luck people then give them some practical assistance for their real problems and not the ones you project onto them to try and feel good about yourself.
Posted by phanto, Friday, 13 December 2013 11:38:21 AM
Eleanor Rigby "All the lonely people - where do they some from?"
Then there is the prophetic work of Philip Slater re the situation in the USA via his book The Pursuit of Loneliness, and other books too.
The Lonely Crowd by David Riesman, and more recently Bowling Alone by Robert Putman.
But such is the inevitable outcome of our "culture", particularly in the USA where winner-takes-all competitive individualism rules (hard cheese if you cant make it on your own)
Having begun with the presumption (even promoted by our religions especially Protestantism) that every one is a separate individual, separate from each other, separate from the natural world, and separate from the Living Divine Reality too, we have inevitably created a "culture" in which every one is alone and isolated.

Perfect karmic justice really!
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 13 December 2013 1:53:40 PM
I'm with you Phanto. After being a victim of Xmas madness a few years ago, I no longer have anything to do with it apart from a couple of Season's Greeting cards.
Also I mostly prefer my own company as most people these days seem to be operating on magical thinking; if they think at all.
Posted by Johnno, Friday, 13 December 2013 2:03:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy