The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Community amidst carnage > Comments

Community amidst carnage : Comments

By Stephen Liggins, published 11/11/2013

The helicopters no longer swarm in the sky. It is a few weeks now since the October fires first ripped through our section of the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
The impact of the Blue Mountain's fires is well described - and then a transition to Africa and Bible studies.

I wonder where the issue of the cause of the main State Mine fire has gone - http://www.news.com.au/national/defence-department-admits-to-starting-state-mine-fire-around-lithgow-and-blue-mountains/story-fncynjr2-1226745502977 .
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 11 November 2013 9:12:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"We often find healthy and vibrant community existing in sports clubs and schools or among like-minded groups uniting over a common cause, but there is also a strong sense that our highly individual lives have led to a paucity of the sort of community that we need and for which we yearn."

Is there a class in Divinity School, I wonder, called False Generalisation, where would-be divines learn to misapply 'we' and 'us' when they mean 'me' and 'I'? Because it seems to be the one common factor in all of the religious homilies that we get here. Please count me out; I don't 'need' your sort of community and I certainly don't 'yearn' for it. Judging by its dwindling size, the number of people who do year for it is shrinking year by year, and your indiscriminate use of 'we' is becoming more and more misleading.

There is nothing more patronising and intellectually arrogant than telling your opponents what (you think) they need. I really thought that kind of thing had gone out after Alan Bennett sent it up so devastatingly here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOsYN---eGk

but obviously I was wrong. Please add my name to your 'do-not-we' list.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 11 November 2013 2:29:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Jon J.

A Youtube reflecting little faith, which drew me to the state of the judiciary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyos-M48B8U .

Cheers

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 11 November 2013 2:55:31 PM
@Jon J I loved your wonderfully ironic 'Please count me out; I don't 'need' your sort of community'... but then I realised that maybe you were serious? Isn't that kinda 'Carnage amidst community' instead?
Posted by gbroughto, Monday, 11 November 2013 4:26:48 PM
I'm quite serious: after forty-odd years of being told by god-botherers that 'we need this' and 'we want that', I am withdrawing my permission to be included in these massive overgeneralisations. In future Stephen Liggins and his kind will be required to say: "All of us -- with the exception of Jon J -- yearn for...", or receive a stiff letter from my lawyer.

Or, of course, Stephen and his ilk could simply say, instead: "SOME of us yearn for... SOME of us want... SOME of us need...", which has the inestimable advantage of being true, rather than lying for Jesus. Or Mohammed, or Buddha.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 11 November 2013 6:48:10 PM
Good one Jon J.
Posted by SPQR, Tuesday, 12 November 2013 6:32:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy