The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Has the UN climate panel now outlived its usefulness? > Comments

Has the UN climate panel now outlived its usefulness? : Comments

By Fred Pearce, published 14/10/2013

There can be a conflict between good science and what policy makers and engineers want to know.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Bring on the foaming at the mouth deniers this is your queue.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Monday, 14 October 2013 9:34:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ignoring Cobber.. much as I hate the IPCC its better the devil you know. Without it climate scientists would really get out of control, all vying for attention and making ever more extreme claims. This happens to a certain extent, but with the IPCC at least there is a (dismissive)acknowledgement of the pause, and an agreed set of projections which can be checked against actual events.

However, the supposedly scientific process has major gaps.. I was under the impression that the panel had declared that it would use "grey" material, ie non-referred material such as WWF reports, as it has in the past on matters such as melting of glaciers. If so, they should have a declaration about the amount of grey material used in the report - or is my memory playing me false.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Monday, 14 October 2013 9:56:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yawn lets get back to issues that matter. The Chinaman on Q & A was hilarous the other night by basically saying no one in China gives a stuff. Not the right answer. No doubt he will be banished from re appearances. Thankfully he wasn't a white male otherwise he would of copped the wrath of the brainwashed who usually make most noise on that channel.
Posted by runner, Monday, 14 October 2013 4:44:58 PM
I disagree Curmudgeon. The IPCC has provided a centralised, "rallying" point for the alarmists and hysterics and green misanthropes; it also provided an imprimatur and spurious authority for all the ratbaggery which has come out from under the rocks and crevices and flourished under the steward-ship of AGW.

Without the IPCC the nonsense of the consensus would not have been established. And the IPCC has also allowed the UN to be relatively immune to any criticism, which given that it is the biggest and most corrupt bureaucracy ever shows the far-reaching nature of the pernicious influence of the IPCC.
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 14 October 2013 4:55:29 PM
"factors that climatologists cannot yet successfully model are left out of the modeling studies". The sun perhaps?

" Some argued that the hiatus had not lasted long enough to be considered a temperature trend. ". I agree, the last I heard is that 17 years is required for a 'trend'. then I heard 30 years for a 'trend'. Can we have a consensus here please.

"the lead authors did not accept findings from reputable researchers suggesting that a rise of as much as two meters was possible." Did they also not accept findings from reputable researchers that far less was also possible?

"This oceanic warming is melting ice on land and at sea, most notably with the dramatic summer declines in Arctic sea ice." ...... And the arctic sea ice extent this summer is??
Posted by Prompete, Monday, 14 October 2013 6:43:38 PM
"It may do good science, but does it deliver what policymakers need?"

Are we talking about the same IPCC here? The ones who extensively rewrote their draft report -- which is available online -- after politicians let them know it wasn't scary enough? Who redid their graphs because they were in danger of revealing that 'global warming' had stopped?

If the IPCC has any real scientists left, they should be deeply ashamed of their role in this campaign of politically-orchestrated fearmongering and hysteria.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 14 October 2013 7:07:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy