The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Abbott nails Jakarta > Comments

Abbott nails Jakarta : Comments

By Tony Kevin, published 3/10/2013

Morrison and Downer lost, but Australia didn't. The national interest will be well served by the PM's deft handling of a difficult situation.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Tony
I see by your bio that you have been an Ambassador in Cambodia so I am sure you know only too well the Asian approach to patriotism, manners, and dealing with foreigners as well as being diplomatic regardless of your which country you represent.

According to the Jakarta Globe editorial on 2/10/2013 Indonesian journalists were shut out of a press conference following a breakfast meeting between business and government delegates.

When taking into consideration that Jakarta Post is owned mostly by a consortium of Indonesian newspapers, I would hazard a guess that these newspapers are reporting likewise. Not a good look

Unless you have insider information we are only getting the Australian side of the story from a compliant media.

Finally several words on operation sovereign borders.
What happened to "Stop The Boats", "Buying The Boats" and having the Indonesians spy on one another for financial gain?

I am already hearing rumblings and denials of electing his party from the LNP cheer squad where I work. The poor buggers knowledge of Indonesia is limited to the accommodating and seemingly pliant tourist operators in Bali and they thought Abbott would just snap his fingers and the Indonesians would come bowing and submissive
Posted by Phil R, Thursday, 3 October 2013 10:50:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a nonsense article. Abbott backed off at ninety miles an hour and, cap in hand, nodded 'Yes, Sir' and 'No, Sir' to everything the Indonesian President said.

Abbott forgot about the 'tough talk' he used while trying to be elected. In fact, he probably wet his trousers!

Obbatt did exactly what I expected him to do. He has made Australia the laughing stock of the region!
Posted by David G, Thursday, 3 October 2013 11:05:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If the this is intended to be a PM&C (Abbott's Departmental) Press Release and a fawning one at the that...the author succeeds.

Stout defence of the author's old Department, PM&C, is matched by the alleged poor performance of the various branches of Government that PM&C is meant to be coordinating.

If this curious article does not score a consultancy for the author in the new Abbott Government we shouldn't worry unduly.

Planta
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 3 October 2013 11:19:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Summary: Tony Abbott accepting the position of the previous Labor Government is a win for Australia.

Meanwhile, Mr "no surprises, no excuses" has had to walk back, tail between legs, from one of his signature policies.

If the media doesn't hold him to account for this, it will be truly failing in its duty.
Posted by Cazza, Thursday, 3 October 2013 12:01:25 PM
labour/greens spend 5 years creating a shambles and sook severley when Abbott does not clean up the debacle overnight. How pathetic. They seem to never learn as shown by Gillards victimhood speaches.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 3 October 2013 1:09:51 PM
Tony, I think it is time you had a holiday, the only way to prevent deaths at sea is to save people and stop whinging about Jakarta.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Thursday, 3 October 2013 4:10:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy