The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why would Lebanese board the boat? > Comments

Why would Lebanese board the boat? : Comments

By Joseph Wakim, published 1/10/2013

Their voices of desperation drowned out the voices of reason by their Australian relatives over the phone, discouraging them, warning them.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The solutions to these and many other problems are not here, but in Lebanon!
No matter where in the world one travels, one cannot breed success, if one takes the same flawed mindset with one!
If the Lebanese people could or would simply set aside the traditional and all too often misplaced enmity; replace all that garbage, with a truth and reconciliation strategy/commission; they could set about rebuilding Lebanon. Once described a the Paris of the Middle East, and a very prosperous place to live in or visit.
As the Paris of the Middle East, it had a thriving tourist industry and a vibrant flourishing economy, and little if any evidence of endemic poverty. Which so marks that country today!
A tragedy further compounded, by the decision of some Lebanese, to involve themselves in Syria's conflict, and in so doing, create even more eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, traditional enmity!
Tourists are not going to visit a war torn country, rendered asunder, by completely mad or insane, religious rivalry!
If their God could speak directly to them, he would likely ask, who gave you permission to kill in my name!? And, enough already!
The real question here is, why wouldn't those desperate people listen to the sage advice, of their Aussie Relatives?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 1 October 2013 12:19:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Economic Invaders.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 1 October 2013 12:48:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is apparently why they boarded the boat:
http://www.news.com.au/national-news/lebanese-asylum-boat-victims-duped-by-people-smugglers/story-fncynjr2-1226730258110
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 1 October 2013 4:10:48 PM
Once again , it's all Australia's fault .

We didn't give people in Lebanon , Yemen or Jordan enough money to stay away.

When they decide to enter Australia illegally , again its our fault . These people watch Al Jezzera the KNOW the risks and about Manus Island.. its been widely broadcast on their News

But It's still our fault. The mere fact that these people are travelling all the way to Australia instead of using the well worn Illegal Immigration Track to Europe shows that Australia has become an easy Mark.

Now, THAT, is our fault !
Posted by Aspley, Tuesday, 1 October 2013 4:17:47 PM
In Lebanon it would be a crime to have false documents especially a passport, they would have to know that. BUT they were prepared to break the law to come here.

It would be my belief that a lot of the 50,000 who Labor rolled out the red carpet for were the same, simply put ECONOMIC INVADERS.

The sooner they deport them the better, maybe then the Government will have enough money to look after there own citizens FIRST.

To me they were not duped they were just too greedy and ignored all the stories they would have heard about sinking boats.

Quote "promised a safe “ship” to Australia" if they believed that they were also gullible.
Posted by Philip S, Tuesday, 1 October 2013 5:08:00 PM
The three causes for poverty and "hopelessness" in Lebanon, Joseph Wakim, is Islam, multiculturalism and overpopulation, none of which we in Australia wish to import.

We Australians, and western people in general, feel flattered that so many people from third world countries see our society as paradise compared to their own. But why don't they simply emulate us instead of just jumping on the nearest boat and heading for Aust4ralia?

What really galls Australians is that when many of them come here, they demand state supported social separation, the right to continue their medieval practices, and then scream that 'Those who insult Islam must be beheaded."

Sorry mate. I am an Australian, and in the same way that Lebanese, Indians, Jews and Italians wish to form ethnic enclaves in Australia because they wish to live amongst their own people, I feel no different to them. I am an Australia and I wish to live among my own people to. People with whom I feel kinship and among whom I feel safe. That s why I live in my own country and I would prefer you and your fellow ethnics to live in yours.

Another problem you might have addressed (but didn't) was the appalling behaviour exhibited by so many Lebanese in Sydney who are noted for their high incidence of violent criminal behaviour and welfare dependency. While ever so many Lebanese nationals in Australia continue to behave in such an unacceptable way way, you can blame Australians for not wanting any more of them to come here.
Posted by LEGO, Tuesday, 1 October 2013 5:58:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy