The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to lose the 'Christian vote' in three hours > Comments

How to lose the 'Christian vote' in three hours : Comments

By Adam Ch'ng, published 5/9/2013

For so many Christians voters, this was the moment that the sheep's clothing came off the wolf's back.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Runner please go and jump off the planet and meet your beloved God sooner than later,I bet you don't want to hurry though, as there may be nothing when you get there. One wonders are you talking about Christianity or Religiosity, Christianity is about helping and loving all people, Religiosity is attending church but not practising what you preach, and that would be your make up.
People who follow the Bible are very selective in their readings from it, always the good and never the bad.
The religious right are always at odds, and cannot accept Homosexuality, Voluntary Euthanasia, Abortion, Stem cell research etc, for goodness sake accept people for what they are and not what you want.
Thank goodness I am an Atheist and accept all people, including the religious right, they also have the gene make up , same as Homosexuals, to believe what they believe
Posted by Ojnab, Thursday, 5 September 2013 6:04:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who would want the votes of ignorant bigots anyway?
Marilyn Shepherd,
They are the ALP's backbone so you for one would not want to lose their support.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 September 2013 10:19:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think there are too many out there who think gays are not equal.

What I do think, and also believe myself, is that gays not equal when it comes to marriage. That's it.

As soon as gays accept the fact that all they need do is find another word for their union, the debate will be over. End of story.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 6 September 2013 4:58:29 AM
I am not a Christian and approve of gay marriage, but I have friends that are. Most are smart, educated, articulate, generous, and very few would I describe as bigoted. On many issues we agree, faith is not one of them, and is generally not subject to rational debate. They have it, I don't, and we agree to disagree. Most Christians I know, while not approving of gay marriage, find it a relative minor issue with regards to voting, as they consider their religion personal.

KRudd had the opportunity to state his reasons and win over the Christians who don't believe in gay marriage for religious reasons, but don't feel that it is a deal breaker. However, he had to go for the "Gotcha" moment and insult a respected minister, and the Christian faith. This is not a minor issue for whom faith is important, is nothing short of idiotic, and why he has been such a failure as a diplomat and PM.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 6 September 2013 5:18:56 AM
For two millenia, the monstrous herd of elephants browsing contentedly in the rooms of the Christian bible have not been concerned with gay marriage or refugees (although a certain Samaritan might disagree).
For two millennia the Christian church has simply ignored the worlds of (for instance) Matthew 19:23,24:
“Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of Heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God'”.
Jesus Christ. By any comparison between Rudd and Abbott and the people who pay these two to 'represent' them, they are unquestionably 'rich men'.
God in heaven, the bloody Catholic pope is waited on hand and foot, and lives in splendour that could only be the envy of moguls and millionaires.
Christians? Sorry fellas, I think not. According to your holy book, Heaven is shut.
If Messrs Rudd and Abbott were truly Christians, should they not be encouraging their constituents to consume less, scale down economic activity and reject all the trappings of wealth for the good of their immortal souls?
Obviously not.
While perhaps not being so crass as to fully -or publicly- endorse the Wall street credo “greed is good”, both politicians clearly believe that all Australians should aspire to be locked out of Heaven.
If there is one thing both politicians are in absolute lockstep on, it's that all Aussies should all aspire to greater wealth: earn more, consume more, grow the economy, borrow more...
While greed may -arguably- not be good, being rich most certainly is; and to hell with what Jesus reckoned. You can't expect Gods to get everything right, right?
Of the two, at least Rudd makes some pretence to care for the most disadvantaged in society. Abbott unashamedly favours the rich, with tax breaks, family allowances...
If Heaven is a state that genuine Christians aspire to entering, any Christian who votes for the Liberal party is just as hypocritical as both contenders.
Posted by Grim, Friday, 6 September 2013 7:23:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Grim,

So you contend that wealth is anti Christian, and so we should vote for Labor and poverty for all?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 6 September 2013 8:10:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy