The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > About those fires… > Comments

About those fires… : Comments

By Judy Crozier, published 3/9/2013

The Home Insulation Program of is back in the news, with Abbott promising yet another inquiry. That would make the ninth.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Thanks Judy. Your article has reinforced what I knew already, people have short memories.The media know this all too well and have been using this to push certain agendas
I find it laughable that the insulation project was done in a way that the LNP champion, by giving the work to privately owned business with minimum regulation and then in concert with certain sections of the media ridiculed the program as a waste and held certain politicians personally responsible for fires and the unfortunate deaths of some workers and allowed the contractors off the hook with no scrutiny of the Duty of Care obligations of the employers. It is pleasing that the Judiciary aren't swayed by propaganda and media bias
What I find strange is that the ALP hasn't been able to counter the criticism even when the issue was raised in parliament.
What is even stranger is that the LNP castigated the government for not having enough regulation/oversight in place when one of the 3 word slogans the LNP uses is "Cut Red Tape"
Posted by Phil R, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 10:21:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
thanks, Phil R. Yes, a combination of systematic stifling* by the msm and a distressing tendency on the left to reach for the forelock means that so often the argument is simply not made.

* ask any Labor pollie how many press releases are published by the msm. Waves of bitter laughter.
Posted by jcro, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 10:27:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was not surprised find Judy teaches creative writing. This piece is pretty creative. So, from reading this is her understanding of math.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 11:33:31 AM
since when does the financier of any economic activity become responsible for damages as a consequence of the recipient of finance not acting within the law of the land. no one has ever tried to answer this question. Chris Lewis who rewrites newspaper articles and thinks referencing them in accordance with style guides creates serious research cannot answer that simple question, nor can anyone else who has jumped on this bandwagon. Was Robert Menzies responsible for deaths on the Snowy Mountain Scheme?
Posted by SLASHER1, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 12:55:31 PM
Fantastic article. But, as always, well-argued, well-informed debunking of the endless litany of 'government mismanagement' lies just don't have the reach of the Murdoch-Coalition propaganda machine.

'What I find strange is that the ALP hasn't been able to counter the criticism even when the issue was raised in parliament.'

Sigh! Tell me about it ...

Whether it's pink batts, government debt, the NBN, Rudd's neuroses, financial mismanagement (which produced the strongest economy in the world) - whatever - the ALP has always remained eerily quiet in its own defence. I give up.
Posted by Killarney, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 5:39:36 PM
This article puts me in mind of the frequent mealy-mouthed excuse often trotted out for allowing liars to monopolise the news media: "You don't have to read it".

When the pink batts hullabaloo first hit the headlines my thought was that though the Government was right to hit the panic button when the Global Financial Heist threatened they stuffed up the delivery. On cue, my memory leapt to the endlessly repeated mantras: "Labor can't handle money" and "government can't handle business".

Ms Crozier, based on a painstaking analysis in Crikey.com, shows that the Libs were lying and are still lying. I didn't have to read Murdoch's lies but I did so, and so did millions of other Australians. OK I needn't have read it, but as millions of Australians did, then whether we read the lies or not we are likely at the weekend to be profoundly affected by them and by other Murdoch lies. So "you don't have to read it" does not protect you from the megaphoned lies of exceedingly wealthy foreign liars who own news media. Ms Crozier's efforts and those of the Crikey journo make this crystal clear.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Tuesday, 3 September 2013 6:35:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy