The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Who are the better cooks, men or women? > Comments

Who are the better cooks, men or women? : Comments

By Vicki Swinbank, published 12/6/2013

Underneath the silliness and clichéd gender stereotyping of the current MasterChef there are some serious issues at stake that need to be examined.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
The Fun Police at it again?

I couldn't help but laugh at how serious this issues has become. I think the good Doctor is reading too much into the show...and sounds like a cliche herself with the "identity politics" as lampooned brilliantly by critic Mark Steyn.

We've had these similiar arguments before, no doubt someone clever enough to earn a PHd out of it and a lucrative book deal but ultimately not adding anything of value to the body of knowledge...It's just another form of conspiracy theory wrapped in criticism of patriachy, a beast long ago slayed in the West but alive and well in other cultures--perhaps Dr Swinbank should examine these "cultures" for signs of patriachy...She can consult with Mark Steyn on that one if she is brave enough to tackle these vocal cultures. But perhaps she is not so brave?

Dr Swinbank, in case you didn't know, the Gender War in the West was won long ago by your side...have you ever heard of Hiroo Onoda? He was the Japanese soldier who surrendered in 1975 after fighting a one man war in the Phillipines...He didn't believe World War 2 ended in 1945 !

Dr Swinbank the Gender War on Western Patriachy is over ! Your side won-- you should be enjoying the victory instead of worrying about some crumbs or food scraps left to the losers, pardon the culinary pun !
cheers
Posted by Truther, Wednesday, 12 June 2013 10:39:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Truther,

No need for me to post now. Even used my long worn feminist lost soldier.

Arguments like these are even vaguely feasible, but rather uninteresting. Like you say really scraping the bottom of the barrel for something left to complain about.

Let it go love:-)

' some serious issues at stake'

Hardly.

I don't know why cooking has suddenly become such a big thing here, like dancing, Aussies never really used to be that into cooking or dancing. I think we really want to be Europeans, as we see them as sophisticated. Well, the yuppies have always had wet dreams about living in a Tuscan Village, but now even the bogans think their omelette is a culinary masterpiece.

It's a strange world.

Jamie Oliver Sexy? Wow, some are easy pleased.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 12 June 2013 12:56:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
' when men arrogantly and ignorantly claim that women are innately inferior cooks, they are not only denying the culinary talents and knowledge of women in general, but, even more significantly, they are not respectıng the history of women's collective culinary culture which has made an incalculable contribution to human civilisation.'

For a start, I really don't see men claiming any such thing. If anything the average Joe thinks cooking is women's work, and is happy with a nice cut of meat, and skips the salad and veges. The vast majority of men are simple creatures and really don't give these things too much thought.

Which is why it is a massive stretch to think any of them would possibly be making any comment on 'the history of women's collective culinary culture which has made an incalculable contribution to human civilisation.'

Not even at a dinner party in Balmain on a Saturday night.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 12 June 2013 1:04:53 PM
Who the hell cares about who is the best cook.

It is who is going to have to do the washing up that matters.

I am not very interested in, & won't argue about who is the best cook, but there are definitely a couple of titles the women do win by a country mile. That is the competition for who is the messiest cook, & who can dirty most implements when cooking.

I have to admit the ladies win those by a country mile.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 12 June 2013 3:00:08 PM
Women have equality plus, but the opportunities to become chefs go begging.

Women who have pursued excellence cooking and crafts, for instance the fair and accomplished Nigella, have copped unrelenting sniping, sarcasm and abuse from feminists for 'letting the side down' and fuelled by jealousy as well.

Where are all of the empowered feminists to take up the thousands of very well paid jobs as roofers, tile layers, plumbers and builders? Ask any tradies, they are desperate for apprentices and the starting pay for anyone who will turn up for work and take instruction is well beyond what the tradesman himself could have expected in his day.

Layers of vinyl on floors are getting paid $100,000 PA, but there are no women takers for the work. Feminists must be princesses because in my mother's day and her mother before, it was usual for women to cut and lay vinyl in their own homes.

Come to think about it, women used to take many home maintenance tasks in their stride until post-WW2 when so many girl children born in cities were treated as princesses by their parents and society. It was the rare city girl who did anything but act as a budgie in front of her mirror and complain. Any wonder they raised such spoilt, entitled and frivolous brats?
Posted by onthebeach, Wednesday, 12 June 2013 3:32:25 PM
Here we go again. Another women vs men debate. When will we ever learn. Isn't that a song.

There are numerous women and men who work as chefs. Nobody I know thinks men are better or worse chefs, in fact they don't think about it at all as long as the food is good and their tummies are full.

For goodness sake it is not a competition. Women and men don't have to be exactly equal to be equal.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 12 June 2013 7:35:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy