The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rushed media legislation a disgrace > Comments

Rushed media legislation a disgrace : Comments

By Jacqueline Elaine, published 21/3/2013

Not only has Conroy raised the ire of the media barons, but he is short-changing Australian content makers.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
We've been talking about this for around five years, now on the eve of an election, Conroy suddenly wants action.
Why?
Are there votes in taking an electioneering baseball bat to the corporate media giants? Especially now that a Tory Govt in Britain has passed far more stringent laws!
Is it being rushed so our hung parliament will reject it?
And thereby give Labour an issue it can take to the next election, it can hammer a seemingly recalcitrant opposition with?
Bob Katter seems to have come up with a very reasonable compromise, that effectively eliminates, any Govt control of the media, via oversight of the press council.
In any event, I can't see why there is a problem, with an entirely independent statuary body enforcing those rules, the media barons are already signatory to!
They're their rules!
And I can't see why the parliament can't be given the time and committees, to fully comprehend the issues, and intended solutions.
It really is too important an issue to stuff it up with rushed or less than adequate legislation!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 21 March 2013 10:55:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The details of the proposed legislation have not been reveled in full, we have to trust the Opposition will not agree to pass stupid laws, but they are likely to look at saving their own skin and votes in the short term before any real consideration for the average citizen is looked at.
I want laws to stop media publishing false and misleading stories that defame and put at risk innocent people who have little or NO chance of a fair and balanced retraction, some stories are printed in 50mm font on the front page but when the hapless victim demands a retraction, the "apology" ends up in small print in the "Dead Cats for Sale" section which means that virtually NO ONE looks at it.
I hope any laws to bring genuine reform and balance are well framed and carefully considered.
Posted by lockhartlofty, Thursday, 21 March 2013 12:18:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't want 'new Australian drama'. I want good drama, and I don't particularly care where it comes from. If Australian drama can compete on a level playing field, then let it do so. If not, then let's put those resources into something we can do better.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 22 March 2013 4:26:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy