The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are we becoming Internet addicts? > Comments

Are we becoming Internet addicts? : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 11/1/2013

Addiction may seem too strong a word to apply to our engagement with mobile media. Yet the description is apt.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I generally agree with the argument put forward here. There's been a great deal of commentary recently about the nature and effects of Internet-related multitasking, especially around social media and the ubiquity of mobile devices. But the empirical evidence is still inconclusive, and for every negative consequence (CPA etc.,) there are demonstrable benefits (collaboration, innovation, community connectivity).
Meanwhile, organisations are struggling to cope with social media usage and policies (by employees and customers alike) while also trying to address workplace productivity. What is missing in the debate is some constructive dialogue around how to use the technology more effectively and to our advantage - in crude terms, to manage it, not be be managed by it.
If we really need to "switch off", while maintaining productivity and engagement, there needs to be some better solutions and support to help people find opportunities to take "brain breaks" or to find renewal through constructive downtime.
Posted by Content in Context, Friday, 11 January 2013 2:51:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My experience of group meetings is that they are 90% useless, so if 50% of the attendees spend 80% of their time there doing something else instead, that represents a net gain of -- wait, hang on while I look up Google Calc...
Posted by Jon J, Saturday, 12 January 2013 7:47:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Are we becoming internet addicts?" Only as long as the electricity holds out, though I'm less fussed with internet addicts than with internet dicks.

Still, it's not all necessarily bad:

"Linked to this attention deficit problem is the social challenge of Absent Presence. This is where you have, say, ten people sitting around a table, only to find that just five of whom are really 'present'. The others are mentally or emotionally out-to-lunch..."

This could be viewed as a life-long rehearsal for when - with increasing longevity - we are 'sat' in the lounge of our nursing home, but too frail to escape.

"...what psychologists have labeled Constant Partial Attention" is all too true and is increasingly common the younger the person using the mobile device.

Multi-tasking seems not at risk since it appears more people are simultaneously 'multi-platform' cognisant ... oh look, a cat playing the piano!
Posted by WmTrevor, Saturday, 12 January 2013 9:04:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is those mobile devices, & multi tasking that worries me.

Two of my female kids in particular. One is a good driver, except for the fact she never has that infernal phone thing out of her hands. It is unfortunately, only a matter of time I believe.

I have idly wondered what she does with that phone, while in the passion of sex. I am inclined to believe she is probably texting some face book mate, telling her how good it is perhaps, they must share everything else it appears.

The other says I scare her when I'm driving. I made a study of our driving habits.

Coming into a local T intersection, I have checked right & left, gone back 2 gears, & am accelerating through the thing, while she is still rolling to a halt, before looking anywhere.

Despite this lack of multitasking ability, she still appears confident in her ability to dial phone numbers, & probably text while traveling at 100Km/H, down our none too wide country back roads.

Sorry, no, I am not prepared to say anything to them, I'll just bitch here, instead..
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 12 January 2013 11:32:49 AM
Since the advent of the android phones with their touch screens people get even more engrossed when texting. It was nothing short of amazing how fast & without looking some could text with the earlier key pad phones. The touch screen has certainly slowed them & the texting down but with the added concern that they need to actually look at the screen.
I have a young feller who literally is incapable of working with both hands as he constantly texts his girlfriend who is no more than 300 metres away.
As for myself I'm pretty hooked on this forum. I think being on the computer is so much more entertaining than TV as there are no commercial breaks although some ads are very annoying.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 12 January 2013 5:26:21 PM
'oh look, a cat playing the piano!'

hehe. You're my fave trev. But you already know that.

Being as it were as addiction is in the soul, and takes many forms, WTF is wrong with someone who gets addicted to the interwebs. Coke, congrats! Sex, why not. Gambling, you're a fool sure, heroin, so passe.

But the interwebs? really?

When someone gets addicted to memes, or friendface, well, put.them.down.
Posted by Houellebecq, Sunday, 13 January 2013 8:30:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy