The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What future Australian content? > Comments

What future Australian content? : Comments

By Mary Debrett, published 28/12/2012

Free-to-air may have a chance at surviving the assault of new media, but Australian-produced content is in even greater danger of disappearing from our screens.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
The key to a continued high level of Australian content is to make stuff that is actually good, that people want to watch.

Just like other industries Australian media needs to complete with imports. They can't win on price they need to win on quality.
Posted by cornonacob, Friday, 28 December 2012 9:37:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sometimes I have to look in my passport to see which country I belong to. Sometimes when I open it up I half-expect to see the word 'AMERICAN!'

The amount of brain-washing the average Australian/American (can you tell the difference?) receives each day is truly alarming. Whether it's via videos, television, newspapers and movies, the saturation continues.

Even our news seems to be mainly about the USA with the fiscal cliff and snowstorms dominating. Australia is rapidly sinking beneath waves of U.S. crap.

Whenever Obama speaks, there he is on our screens. If there is a mass shooting in the U.S., every Australian knows about it. We even get to see the burials! American sports are being shown more frequently and of course, American wars which Australia is always involved in feature heavily.

When does the Australian stereotype disappear all together? Has it already gone?
Posted by David G, Friday, 28 December 2012 10:09:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cornoacob, it is not that Australian content is potentially poor but rather Government funding bodies, which act as intermediaries and decide what Australians should watch, say what gets funding. There have been so many potentially good productions halted in the writing stage or even changed to fit with what funding bodies believe will work. Usually, it is more of the same rather than try something new. What is needed is an industry-based funding scheme, as in the US, where it is planned that 80% will fail in order to get the 20% that are successful. The 20% are then taxed to support the rest. As long as the government controls content it will remain poor. The rules governing funding are stringent and almost impossible to navigate and there is no room for new players, no matter how qualified. The startup of digital was handled badly from the start. If one looks at the UK example, the UK government asked that each licensed channel (the existing networks were given 5 each) were populated with predominantly UK content and to keep them on their toes, they introduced a new competitor with the same conditions. What happened was a complete overhaul of the production industry, with decentralised production into Wales, Manchester, Scotland etc. Loads of indi's were set up and the content increased in quality and quantity. The Internet has provided a more level playing field, albeit a less lucrative one, for new Australian content. If the FTA networks were to populate the online IPTV and throw their resources behind local content, we could see new models happening and with more employment in the industry. Billionaires should stay out of the equation also, because without profit gouging, the networks might actually be viable.
Posted by David Leigh, Friday, 28 December 2012 10:24:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David Leigh wants TV stations to stop profit "gouging".

Me I just want potential producers to stop "gouging" my taxes.

He complains that the funding bodies won't fund what he wants produced. I complain that they fund any of the garbage. I can think of much better things to do with our taxes than produce make believe, or propaganda for TV.

Mary the main thing wrong with television today is it is all the same. Why? Because all the people involved have come through a school like yours. They are all left indoctrinated, "B" grade, & incredibly boring.

The stuff they produce, even the news, is politically correct, has left political overtones, & is not worth watching. Hell I even had to stop watching Catalyst, when it became more propaganda than science.

Perhaps if TV producers tried to be a bit less pontificating, & a bit more entertaining, they might get an audience back. They have a problem there however. I will not be likely to see any improvement to be attracted back to, as I never watch the stuff these days, apart from a few SBS documentaries, & Time Team.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 28 December 2012 10:59:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,

We privately funded a documentary on mainly barramundi fishing up north, after being assured we could recoup some of our investment when it was shown on t.v.
For added interest we included some amazing shots of wildlife [my favourite was the feral cat as large as a medium size dog] - never knew until then how large they get], and the landscape and colourful characters who live in that area.
Kevin [Bloody] Wilson provided the catchy little 'A bad days fishing beats a good days working every time' And the voiceover was done by a Perth radio announcer, so we expected it to be well received.

We then tried to sell it, but were told "we provide those sort of documentaries 'in house'. Our attempt to provide an interesting doco now sits on a shelf collecting dust.

Like you we are tired of being served mindless drivel on the t.v. Even the ads are of such a poor standard, they insult one's intelligence.
Posted by worldwatcher, Friday, 28 December 2012 12:01:31 PM
My gripes with australian movies & other entertainment is that it is always a cheapened-down version of american stuff. Surely they could sit down & think up something australian ?
Just look at all these competition shows, the only real difference is the dialect spoken.
Get original, get thinking, stop copying.
Posted by individual, Friday, 28 December 2012 4:49:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy