The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Navy inserts itself between the sheets and into the mind > Comments

Navy inserts itself between the sheets and into the mind : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 21/12/2012

It seems possible under the Navy's test for one party in a couple to remain married, while an errant 'partner' is deemed unmarried.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
One thing that was conspicuously absent from all the newspaper reporting of this case was: what were rules applying to these allowances were promulgated by the navy when Captain King claimed them?

I was a civilian in the Defence Dept (which I think had a similar system of allowances) - and never heard of the criteria mentioned in the article. I wonder if the navy has just invented them.

And my understanding of this allowance (I can't recall whether I was told this or just deduced it from the details of the rules) was exactly that mentioned at the end of the article - it was intended to cover the extra costs where the posting resulted in the expense of two households instead of one.
Posted by jeremy, Friday, 21 December 2012 10:41:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a former Naval Officer, one wonders if these new definitions and conditions will be applied to federal politicians, who also 'enjoy' similar domestic arrangements to the Captain -and will the politicians continue to be eligible for living away from home allowances?
Publication of the emails of a few notable senior members of parliament would make fascinating reading.
Perhaps these matters could be referred to Fair Work Australia to mull over for a decade or so
Posted by CARFAX, Friday, 21 December 2012 12:17:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy