The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Waiting for salvation > Comments

Waiting for salvation : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 17/12/2012

An Aussie icon of great and deserved repute seems to have lost its way over the government's asylum seeker policy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Remember this;
Render unto God the things that are God's and render unto Caesar the
things that are Caesar's.

The Sallys are obeying Caesar's decisions and at the same time
rendering services to the detainees.
Of course they are being paid for their services, but can you suggest
a better organisation to do this work ?
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 17 December 2012 12:49:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz,

Short answer - nope!
Posted by worldwatcher, Monday, 17 December 2012 2:00:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As indicated by Bazz, the Salvation Army(SA) is well-placed to undertake support services for asylum seekers on Nauru. By accepting and doing this work the SA is not necessarily agreeing with the Government's off-shore processing policy and should not be 'tainted' by association, as suggested by Bruce Haigh. In fact, the SA, by working on Nauru and Manus will eventually be in a strong position to influence Govt policy.

This type of help is surely in line with the SA's expertise, experience and their aim to show Christian 'love in action' to people in great need.I think it is Bruce Haigh, instead of the SA, who has lost his 'moral compass'.
Posted by MESSMATE, Monday, 17 December 2012 2:06:30 PM
Perhaps Bruce, you would care to give me some reason why the Oz government, IE taxpayer should be supplying boat people with internet access.

I would think it would be a better idea to provide it to Oz pensioners & other poor, long before it was provided to any one of foreign origin, regardless of why they have arrived on our boarder with no visa or other paperwork.

Perhaps you spent too much time out of Oz, & your sympathies have become muddled.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 17 December 2012 2:31:07 PM
This is a thorny issue. There is always a risk that a church or similar group will be tempted to mute its criticism of refugee policy and practice if it is a recipient of government funds, and its participation in the apparatus of detention could be read as tacit support.

On the other hand, a compassionate and critical presence could be a force for good. If I were a detainee, I’d rather the salvos were providing services and support, than not.

On balance, I think the Salvos are probably right to be there, and Bruce's possition seems a bit too ideologically purist to me.
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 17 December 2012 3:18:02 PM
The Salvation Army has already been given preferential treatment in the UK, being awarded a contract to administer a program over the secular body that developed it. They've been caught meddling in politics in NSW. And given the attitude of their Victorian Media Relations Officer, one wonders how what 'pastoral care' they will provide for any asylum seekers who happen to be homosexual: a quick, merciful death, perhaps?

See http://religiousatrocities.wordpress.com/?s=salvation+army for details.
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 17 December 2012 3:50:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy