The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Does the digital download kill creativity? > Comments

Does the digital download kill creativity? : Comments

By Everett Themer, published 12/12/2012

This gave musicians the freedom to experiment a little and include songs that once may not have been considered audience friendly enough for a typical length album.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Try Spotify, or some other streaming music service. Then if you hear and like a track -- 'Doggie Blues' by Enid Grunt and the Chesspots, let's say -- you can immediately:

1. Hear every performance of 'Doggie Blues' ever recorded.
2. Hear ever track Enid Grunt and the Chesspots ever made.
3. Hear the demo tapes for every track that they ever made.
4. Hear scratchy recordings of every concert they ever gave.
5. Hear the tracks and demo tapes recorded by Enid Grunt with her previous group, the Texas Longhairs.
6. Hear all the tracks and demo tapes recorded by the Chesspots under their earlier name Electric Dredge, plus the bootleg recordings they made in the back of Todd Rungren's van that night he was in hospital with a broken leg.

Creativity? We're drowning in it!
Posted by Jon J, Wednesday, 12 December 2012 6:25:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
J.J.

...And that's not to mention the video content. It's why I struggle with iMesh then!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 12 December 2012 10:06:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, but it might kill a few business models?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 12 December 2012 1:41:06 PM
In general I would agree with most of your article. I'm a musician but haven't played professionally since the pub scene died.
I disagree with your conclusion that creativity is dead. It's not by a long shot. How ever, as everyone is going for the next big hit there all trying too hard. There looking too closely at music formulas rather then just creating something new. In music you can get lost in the rules. How ever, the only rule that needs to be adhered too is there are no rules. It comes down to nothing more than the ear of the listener. Does it sound pleasing? Is the only thing that matters. Agreed, it is subjective, but this is what has been lost.
Posted by JustGiveMeALLTheFacts, Wednesday, 12 December 2012 2:58:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy