The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The fine line between fraud and a null result > Comments

The fine line between fraud and a null result : Comments

By Nicholas Gruen, published 4/12/2012

Aside from war, corruption is probably the biggest obstacle to economic and social development in poor countries. But it's best we see ourselves as being on a continuum with them.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
'Aside from war, corruption is probably the biggest obstacle to economic and social development in poor countries'.

Ok, let us take out the word 'social'. I will now ask how is this statement real when some of the most corrupt countries in the world have made the best economic gains in recent years, at least if we look at GDP data and Transparency International Corruption scores. I am not talking about the battom of the pit states, but China, India, Brazil and Russia.

I also agree that addressing corruption is important. I just have problems with sweeping statements that are not necessarily supported by reality.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 4 December 2012 8:43:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Corruption in Western society is hidden in plain sight. It is at the centre of representative government, and at its worst is probably as massive as corruption in countries like Zimbabwe and China. Before representative government, corruption took the form of rule at the direct behest of narrow self-interested military, bureaucratic, ecclesiastical and aristocratic elites.

Representative government takes place through parliament and the mandarinocracy. Parliament is dominated by organised parties, almost identical with one another in policies and ruled through party organisations which are dependent on funding from the “big end of town” along with the union "faceless men". The mandarins respond to general direction from government and more specifically from globally and nationally organised business interests. Lobbying (a.k.a. corruption) is a multi-million dollar industry (cf. K Street Washington).

Democracy as distinct from representative government means rule by the people, with referenda to decide issues that enough petitioners consider worth a referendum. Democracy is practised at a state level in some American states but the main game remains corrupt (cf. "citizens united" election funding).

Imagine measures such as the regressive GST, or the Trans-Pacific Partnership being negotiated in total secrecy by the DFAT mandarins, surviving democracy! Or the carbon tax for that matter.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Tuesday, 4 December 2012 6:00:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy