The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Impartial only through an imperial lens > Comments

Impartial only through an imperial lens : Comments

By John Pilger, published 26/11/2012

As Gaza is savaged again, understanding the BBC's role requires more than sentiment.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Regarding your argument that my example of foreigners taking a large of slab of Australia is irrelevant because Palestine was not an official country: I dispute your argument. Palestine was not an official country, but it did have a national flag, a national currency, and passports, and "Palestinian" was a full-fledged nationality. And Palestinians were living in long-established communities, such as villages and cities. And the Palestinians were clamouring for nationalist independence. But let's go with your argument that Palestine was not an official country. Okay, what if, just prior to South Sudan or Timor-Leste becoming independent, a group of foreigners decided to claim a large chunk of South Sudan or Timor-Leste for themselves?

About that article by Benny Morris that you posted a link to: I started to read it. I was going to examine it. But then I realised that if I were to do that, I would have to access a copy of Ilan Pappe's book "The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine". That would take a couple of weeks. Then I would have to read the book and find out exactly where the passages are that Morris cites. Then I would also have to access the sources that Morris claims Pappe misrepresents. I figured I will not bother doing this. So, we could just take Morris' word for it all. Or we could do what I just did: personally e-mail Pappe a link to Morris' article and recommend Pappe respond to it himself.
Posted by fungus, Saturday, 1 December 2012 4:57:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The difference between Benny Morris on the one hand, and Ilan Pappe and Norman Finkelstein on the other, is that they disagree on whether or not the mass exodus of Palestinian Arabs was a planned, centralised operation by the Zionists. What they do not disagree on is that Zionist militias subjected the Palestinian Arabs to massacres, forced expulsions, and rapes, and confiscated their property.
Posted by fungus, Sunday, 2 December 2012 7:26:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Correction to one of my earlier posts in this thread:

I just re-read that interview with Benny Morris that I posted a link to. It has been a number of years since I read it. In the interview he claims that the rapes and massacres were unjustifiable, but that the forced expulsions were perfectly justified.
Posted by fungus, Sunday, 2 December 2012 7:59:18 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy