The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Boycotting Jews yet again > Comments

Boycotting Jews yet again : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 13/11/2012

The oldest hatred is back. At a café near you.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
Fungus:

While Israeli law might not be perfect, it is a long way from the panicked cry of apartheid that is so often heard from the extreme left. It is far, far ahead of the laws in Arab Middle Eastern countries, yet no one seems to complain of apartheid there. I find this astonishing

The facts are:
Israeli Arabs can be and are elected to parliament.
They can practice the same professions as Israeli Jews.
They can use the same public transport, visit the same shopping malls.
Israeli Arabs, and even Palestinian Arabs, can take the government to the Supreme Court if they so wish.
Apartheid? I don’t think so.

Regarding your other link to Gush Shalom, an outlet of the radical left in Israel, you’ll have to forgive me if I don’t take it too seriously. I do not waste your time by providing extreme views of the radical right, so please don’t waste mine. The fact is that President Clinton, Dennis Ross, as well as Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia, who was also involved in the Camp David talks, all placed the blame for failing to reach an agreement squarely with Arafat and the Palestinians - not with Barak and his generous offer. I don’t think these men would have done so without a good reason.
Posted by Avw, Monday, 19 November 2012 11:17:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My dear cohenite you really are a child.

To others,

I echo Mr Ariel's call for people to watch the video of Chomsky.

As one would suspect his take on Chomsky's position is misleading and deceitful.

On the aims of the BDS movement which include “Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall; Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN Resolution 194” Chomsky says “all of these things are the right things to do”.

What he argues though is that to pick solely on Israel for its sins without targeting the US invites the charge of anti-Semitism since “Every Israeli crime traces back to the US”. Further it is “A gift to Israeli hard-liners” and “It will be used as a weapon to discredit the entire movement.” just as Mr Ariel attempts to do here.

Chomsky cites two conditions that should be met when deciding if a BDS action is justified; is it helpful rather than harmful to the victims and is it educational? Looking to end arms sales to Israel certainly qualifies in his book as does boycotting “corporations acting in the occupied territories”.

So do non-violent actions against the Max Brenner outlets in Australia met that standard? I would argue that by so fulsomely supporting the Israeli brigade who will no doubt soon be in action against the Gazian population the company opens itself up to be justifiably targeted. Further the actions certainly have raised awareness of the issue in Australia thus are educational.

So Chomsky's message is by all means do BDS actions against Israel but do not target it alone and make sure they are the right kind.

To best see his point one only needs to ask whether the Israel government's action of boycotting Chomsky from speaking at any Israeli universities is helpful or harmful to Israel.
Posted by csteele, Monday, 19 November 2012 11:38:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Csteele,

<<To the victims on either side they all would be seen as acts of terrorism but to those of us observing from a distance what is a reasonable response by one to aggression by another?>>

I doubt the victims have time or wits to think or care about terrorism and similar couch-definitions. They see and hear rockets as rockets, bullets as bullets, and their only concern is what can be done to avoid being hit by the next round.

Can there be any other reasonable response?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 20 November 2012 2:07:33 AM
Rhiannon and Hamas:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politics/hamas-will-never-achieve-a-palestinian-state-while-killing-israeli-civilians-20121119-29m58.html

Your defence of BDS on the basis of a distinction between Israeli government and its people is grotesque; as I have noted, unlike every other islamic country around them, Israel is a democracy; it's government is its people.

And any reasonable person's definition of hell would be to be a non-muslim in any of the islamist nations; being a muslim would only be slightly better.

As I say, fungus you and the condescending csteele, fan of the parasite Chomsky, argue for a system, islam, which is barbaric, oppressive and a blight on humanity. To argue for equal rights for islam is to support a denial of rights for not only everyone else but also the wretched inhabitants of islamist countries.

Basically you and the likes of csteele are the problem, not Israel.
Posted by cohenite, Tuesday, 20 November 2012 8:32:38 AM
avw..thankyou for nudging my advisers
regardling proof..thats in process..and being prevented..by this latest genocide..[see previous links]

lets realise the hand that deliverd..the poisen..
was likely those who had the most to gain..and as arrafat by that stage was willing to sign anything put before him..that didnt fit their adgenda

two states mate wont work

my thinking is..the assasination of the latest 'leader'
[yet again ready to sign anything for peace..may be involved..so cleaning that loose end..seems vital..so more dead..when god says live.

but say it wasnt him..no doudt we will find mossad put pressure*..on the hand..but we want who gave the order..and that goes right to the core..of this ongoing gore.

see how thousands..have been under direct israel control
that israel need only threaten..'nearest/dearest'..to get things they want done..to be done...

and thats how why and what was..was done.

as for the map issue..its not relivant
more relivant is imbedding..ie media in bed with the agressor..distorts the news ..CONTROLS THE PROPAGANDA..its treason

[im able at a glance to see media from israel..from that from palistein..the israel will show 3 or 4 acters making hysterical..a hole in a wall or the dirt..or some other little media spin.

vision will show a hole two feet wide..
or kids in govt paid for 'safe rooms'..laughing

we will also see a conned reporter beating up the little things[fluff pieces..as much as we DONT get..to see the injury of 6 reporters in the war zone...or hear of the 25 dead just last night..

but im sick of finding the info
besides which..many have been made mute..

but im angry about the pro murder spin
i need fact..linkable to a sources..specific facts..from specific sources..i need your links..gotta join the dots..feed my need to know
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 20 November 2012 8:54:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
we see the sin/spin..from both sides..but what is telling is the visioning..and differences..of one protected..the other abandoned

masive holes in the ground..destroyed buildings[plaistein]..
no safe rooms..just wholesale foreign invader colonising state and the destruction of the assets of the neighbouring state..[that isnt really any state at all..has no control..is infact in a gulage..]

much like a prison..its the capoes
getting the cheese..just like in natzie germany.

the palistein visioning will show wholesale destruction...
yet be overytalked with pinpoint..targeted..ie deliberated
of but a fraction of the damage..

israel embedded media..report every hole in the wall/floor..road or car..[that still looks like a car/road not a pile of aid turned into rubble

funny aside from the last op[bombing back to the stone age
all that improved rebulding now sees the modernised yet again being destroyed..so it will be modetnised yet again..as war costs..sends tha invader state broke.

the media has been conned..and its the clever spin..
that is the real sin.

lest we forget the campdavid..lol peacetalks was two points
israel only followed through with one..but in light of the pillar of the cloud historic..that seems shaky now too

i feel lets give proofs..[sure my proofs will be taken down
but you know how i love links..please put some up.

[it will help all..sort the spin from the error.
[my guides say sin..but i moderate their input...cause there but for chance am i..

[never say you cant/wont/wouldnt do the same

..till you walked a mile in their shoes...
or felt the real fear[every twenty minutes..not just for the camera of the inbedded media..for todays fluff piece...

till those wanting peace..not pieces..start boycotting the grownup in this..[ie israel..these murders will go on..

till god says enough...or the media grows a pair and finds its own facts.

anyhow im still trusting next year a lasting peace
as we give 2013 to god..[life love loving logic grace mercy light]..

willingly or unwillingly.
sinj while you can.
Posted by one under god, Tuesday, 20 November 2012 9:01:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All