The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's not a 100% game > Comments

It's not a 100% game : Comments

By Daniel Bradley, published 12/11/2012

Opponents of Alan Jones are strengthening his arm and his influence.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
You make some excellent points, except for the biggie.

His audience is a cume of 455,000 per week, according to the latest radio research. What this means is that he has an average daily audience of 89,000. [It's actually an appalling indictment on the general radio scene, and it would appear that total morning radio audience is only half a mil in Sydney.]

Importantly, his 89,000 listeners are retired people who don't spend much, so why anyone would pay a high rate to advertise on his show is anyone's guess. Maybe 2GB heavily discounts its rate card
Posted by Paul R, Monday, 12 November 2012 8:49:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Your comments would be more valid but for this:

"I am not defending the comments. They were offensive"

We each choose when to take offence. It's not a virus that infects us. The comments were not offensive to me, because I chose not to take offence.

Sandilands and Jones should not be criticised on the basis of the choices others make about how they feel.
Posted by DavidL, Monday, 12 November 2012 9:05:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan Jones?
Who is he?
Some washed up old and about to retire, media tart/stranger to the truth, preaching to the already converted, or those so old and decrepit, they need someone else to do all their challenging/critical thinking for them?
Who comes across in his absolute certainty, as someone who patently believes he possesses a God like power, to create politicians in his own image?
And therefore, under constant howling attack by quadrillions of jealous people, extremely envious of his quite enormous power and exponentially expanding importance?
Seriously, I believe a commercial boycott is effective and ought to continue!
I mean just imagine, what a dip in sales figures could mean, particularly at this time?
However, given the time and trouble it takes to organise such a boycott, why not extend it to bring real competition back; and or, price reductions?
Imagine what would happen to fuel prices, if we the consumers were organised and constantly avoided particular brands; and or, all name or associated products or affiliates?
[Always assuming choice!?]
Well, my bet is, the "FOREIGN" cosy cartels, would simply fold back to, every man for himself?
Individual bottom lines, will invariably trump the affected loyalty of insidious cartels!
Ditto, almost exclusively oil dependant nation states, looking at total export numbers and tax receipts/revenue!
Moreover, it is hard to find so much as a single good or service; that doesn't have or rely on one or several fuel components, in the creation and or delivery; meaning, the price of fuel impacts on almost everything!?
We the people possess real power, but only at the ballot box; or as, united we stand savers; or divided, we each pay through the nose, consumers!
Rhrosty
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 12 November 2012 10:57:22 AM
“The orchestrated social media campaigns would do well to consider…”

This implies that you believe that they are rational. They are motivated by a blind hatred of anything not PC.

We all know that Gillard’s father did not die of shame, and Jones’ comment merely implied that he should have.

Before PC terminated humour, it would have been quite an acceptable comment.

Jones offered an apology, which Gillard, for purposes of her hate campaign, rejected.

Of course the ratbaggery of Political Correctness has caused, and will continue to cause inconvenience, but it will eventually, and inevitably, be overcome.

Jones’ supporters are back in force, and the advertisers who buckled to the nonsense have lost their slots to those who refuse to be intimidated by pernicious clowns.
Posted by Leo Lane, Monday, 12 November 2012 12:07:12 PM
Paul R,

Sorry to burst your bubble but cumulative audience does not count anyone twice:

"The cumulative audience rating is based on the cumulative audience as compared to the average or total audience and reflects the total potential audience tuned in to that program at least once during that quarter hour in the period."

The regular listeners on their way to work are not counted twice. Secondly, the listeners are not pensioners, but older listeners with an average income of around $100 000 p.a.

To have the ear of a spending pool of $40bn a year is why the marketers (who are not morons) pay top dollar to advertise with him. If advertisers leave, others including their competitors will fill their places and get their customers.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 12 November 2012 12:48:02 PM
I would not denigrate old age, Rhosty, if I were you.

With old age comes the best chance of clarity of mind and a clearer perception of reality, something of which you are badly in need.

With the boost given to Jones’ popularity by the ratbags' negative campaign, he would not be able to wait for the next instalment.
Posted by Leo Lane, Monday, 12 November 2012 1:43:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy