The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The future of public broadcasting > Comments

The future of public broadcasting : Comments

By Peter West, published 23/10/2012

Public broadcasting in Australia has a lot of faults and some virtues. Which dominate?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Yes I totally agree that PBS is essential in these days of constant market propaganda, which even influences the news. I watch ABC to escape the ads and SBS has some good documentaries too. Couldn't imagine Australia without them.

Spent 6 months in NZ during which they closed the national channel, which had some good local content documentaries. What a shame - only commercial - chocked alternatives. The exception is the excellent government funded Maori channel which continues to do wonders for culture over there.

If Romney gets his way News Ltd propaganda will dominate US opinion even more and their downward slide as a nation will continue.
Posted by Roses1, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 12:33:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If Alan Jones can be kept on his toes by pressuring advertisers, why isn't that good enough for the ABC and SBS?

Good broadcasting will be supported voluntarily and bad broadcasting shunned. Public funding of broadcasting means even when we turn it off, we're still paying.
Posted by DavidL, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 12:59:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Public broadcasting should be balanced, and not one eyed as Jones puts it. I still say jones is being funded by the liberal camp.
The content of Jones bad mouthing is bordering on defamatory comment.
The resentment against Jones has been brewing for a long time, just as Toni deserved his dressing down. It's more than a coincidence that Jones and Abbott are talking the same phrases.
If it was my decision, i would get Jones off radio ASAP.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 1:29:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Public Broadcasting ? Does that still happen ? It looks to me as though it's mere saturation promo !
PBS is closing in on idiotic content Commercial TV.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 23 October 2012 6:30:08 PM
It's no longer Public broadcasting as it is their ABC. As it's their's, sell it to them, and we will save a hundreds of millions a year for something productive, like paying down the huge debt (again). So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Posted by McCackie, Friday, 26 October 2012 3:48:41 PM
As Mike Carlton said: the ABC has become reduced to Stephen Fry, over and over, usually playing Stephen Fry, again and again.
Followed by his imitators.
Oh, and a drama about Redfern. Exciting, huh! I don't think.
Posted by Bronte, Monday, 29 October 2012 8:50:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy