The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Are generational factors affecting middle-age suicides? > Comments

Are generational factors affecting middle-age suicides? : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 5/10/2012

When it comes to suicide does X mark the spot.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
As a man just on the point of leaving that vulnerable age group, I don't have any trouble coming up with reasons why those of us in it find it less pleasant than the period that preceded it. Loss of sexual attractiveness and opportunity; career peaking; the onset of middle-aged health problems; and the growing realisation that one's personal goals are never going to be met, for starters. Forty is about the age when one realises that life is just a dirty confidence trick played on you by a set of DNA plotting to perpetuate itself.

There is some comfort to be had from knowing that the ageing brain eventually forgets how to be miserable, along with most other things, but I think the fundamental problem is that we are simply not intended to live this long. Evolution has equipped us with forty-odd years of survival motivation, which when it was developed was, like 64K of RAM, enough for anybody. It's not Nature's fault that we choose to live longer, and if we do we have to bear the consequences.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 5 October 2012 6:18:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The point is not that you are more likely to suicide at a certain age range, but that the likely age range has risen - its the same people now as ten years ago who are most likely to suicide, not those who have moved into a more at-risk age range.

Its worth noting that a key part of suicide stats is behaviour modelling. People in this cohort are already more likely to know someone 'our age' as a suicide; and points of likeness increase the probability of imitating their actions.

The observation on drugs is telling too. There are several factors contributing to depression and mental illness, and the drugs may have created a cohort higher in them.
Posted by ChrisPer, Friday, 5 October 2012 7:45:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What saddens me so much is the fact that many decent people feel so frustrated that they commit suicide whilst the useless hangers-on get pampered.
I have heard of some farmers doing it as a consequence of the live export ban but I haven't heard of any bureaucrats feeling guilty enough to do it. In general it's those who care what's going who are driven around the bend by the bad elements in authority & bureaucracy who chose that dreadful option. It'll get worse if we don't work on changing things in our society.
One just has to look at those who have to sell their family home just to pay their legal bills due to someone's unfounded allegation or some bureaucrat's incompetence. We see stories about council stupidity on a regular basis. Yes, there are many with personal issues but were there a survey we'd find that officialdom is a major cause, particularly courts & their system.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 7 October 2012 9:16:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mal good article but I'm surprised that no mention is made of what in my view is one of the biggest candidate's as a driver for suicide in that 35-54 age bracket. The massively unjust and often prolonged impact the legal outcomes of a divorce can have on men.

I don't know a lot of the detail of the UK systems but the stuff I have seen suggest many of the same issues as responsible men face here. For reference I'm aware that women can do it very rough when their ex is the one in a better position to abuse the system.

Mal if you have any influence on what studies are done then I'd strongly suggest a look at the relationship between death rates and the more significant outcomes of the family law/child support system.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Sunday, 7 October 2012 8:27:08 PM
Firstly, thank you Jon J for your less-than-encouraging description of the ageing Gen-Xers!
Just yesterday I was told that a former male co-worker took his own life some time ago. This man was intelligent, had a good job and a loving family. He was also within the Gen-X age range. Apparently he started to look back on his life and wonder what difference he had really made. Certainly there may have been other contributing factors that played a part, but that is little comfort to those he left behind.
One's general socioeconomic status, a recent divorce, children leaving home, unfulfilled dreams and clinical depression are all significant factors. And of course the copycat syndrome is often all that is needed to carry out the final deed. I am sure that these days everyone is aware of someone who has suicided.
For those of us who suspect someone we know to be at risk, it is important to let him or her know that we are there for them. A listening ear and non-judgmental empathy are important. Organizations such as Beyond Blue and Grow can play a vital role in helping the person talk through their feelings and in offering practical advice.
Posted by elizann, Monday, 8 October 2012 12:20:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
RObert, apart from those who loose the family farm, I think you're right. Most men who do, are driven their by women, & the legal system. The big question is why so many men who thought they were reasonably happily married, find themselves in this position.

The old one that says "happy wife happy life" is all too true, but what can men do to make that wife happy? In many cases not much. All too many women I see near the end of child raising, wake up to the words of the song, "is that all there is". They have no idea why the nice house, comfortable life & a grand kid or two is not fulfilling.

So many devoted their lives to the dream of motherhood, only to wonder, at the finish of it, what now? So many are frustrated with their life, but have no idea why. It must be his fault, as they have no one else to blame.

The poor bloke wonders why he can do no right, but if only he knew, no one could do right by her right now, other than throwing her in a mobile home/caravan, & doing that grey Gypsy thing. That at least will get her out of her self.

My eldest just refused to go with her mother for a two week trip to Thailand. Could not leave her kids, [4 & 6] that long. I sure hope she is not one to wake up in 18/20 years tine, & wonder where her life went. Lucky break for the younger single one, who gets to go.

This is not the case with most men I know. They are now busy with their second childhood, trying do what they missed, while funding the motherhood dream. It is a pity the ladies won't join them.

I recently went on a low cost classic sports car club run. 12 cars, 16 blokes all over 55, & not one woman. I do feel many want to be unhappy. They loved a weekend cruise in the hinterland, when they were 20.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 8 October 2012 1:39:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy