The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Greens and Labor slug it out over preferences in Melbourne by-election > Comments

Greens and Labor slug it out over preferences in Melbourne by-election : Comments

By Jo Coghlan, published 23/7/2012

The Labor brawl over preferences is the wrong approach to a changing electoral landscape.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Three things.
The libs avoided being shown up with a poor result, shielding abbott from a blast of enlightened anger.
Secondly, relating to the fact that some of Labor's best performers are in marginal seats that would have fallen to the Greens years ago, but for the ALP standing high level left candidates like Tanya Plibersek.
The right of course never had the guts to allow safe seats to go to the left. Drones occupy these, instead.
So either way the ALP right, by its limited, straight-jacketed thinking wins, losing no seats within the faction, and either getting rid of the left candidates having to do hard yakka, or seeing the Greens defeated and kept out of parliament.
Posted by paul walter, Monday, 23 July 2012 9:23:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with the policy of putting the greens last on the ballot paper!
If Labour were unwise enough to continue to preference the greens, they might as well hand the seat to their natural/greatest rival!
Nonetheless, it can't be seen as anything more than mere pragmatism, and or rational politics!
Indeed, as would the major parties covertly colluding to exchange preferences at the very next election, and put this tail that wags the dog, last on the ballot paper?
That much smarter politics, would at last destroy the fable of increasing green support, I believe, for often entirely irrational or loony tune, shoot yourself in your own economic (foot) prospects, policies?
It's said, if you want a friend in politics, get a dog?
Just be sure not to let it loose anywhere near any Koala habitat!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 23 July 2012 11:46:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Labor is struggling to hold a safe seat, in a by election, in the middle of a conservative governments term. looking at a 5% swing against it. The happiest person in Victoria this morning would be Ted Baillieu. The new ALP strategy to win office is on the backs of Family First, One Nation, the DLP, the happy clappers, Australia First and a micro collection of other right wing ratbags. The Labor leader wont be having week;y meetings with Bob Brown but rather with Jim Saleam and members of National Action. LOL.
I am happy with what is happening to the ALP, loosing its identity, jettisoning its principles as it shifts farther to the right. This presents the Greens as the real alternative to the collection of right wing parties. I can see the day coming when the second Labor split eventuates. The disillusioned Labor left will find a new home with us Greens. This time around it may not be a big bang but a slow decline. Labor has been in decline for 5 years now with no evidence of any reversal.
The next test will be the 'safe' Labor seat of heffron in NSW August 25th. I do not expect the Greens to win Heffron, just more of undermining Labor. It will be another test of Labor's standing in the community, or lack of.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 23 July 2012 11:58:11 AM
Do you eat your 'Greens' first or last when you sit down to dinner? Don't laugh, this is important!

Those who eat them first probably don't lust after Christine Milne. Those who eat them throughout the meal probably like Sarah Hanson-something because she is always stumped for words (sorry, it was just a little joke).

And those who eat them last are probably carnivores.
Posted by David G, Monday, 23 July 2012 12:41:09 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...Well, to my mind Democracy is irrelevant, as dead as the modern day political processes of Democracy are; which have been usurped by big business!
The "little man" only useful to prop-up the facade, at a mockery-event called elections.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 23 July 2012 1:25:54 PM
..And to prove my point, (shock-horror), HSBC, the most notorious drug money launderers in history, mock back in an advertisement directly above my post!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 23 July 2012 1:33:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy