The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rights, religion and entitlements to law > Comments

Rights, religion and entitlements to law : Comments

By Jocelynne Scutt, published 23/7/2012

Governments need to ensure no religious standards are allowed to replace secular marriage law.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
One way to insure knowledge of the law of the land would be to require a course given in all schools to cover the law of the land and how it affects the student. Human rights as provided by law would be an essential part of the course. Elimination of the chaplaincy program could fund the course.
Posted by david f, Monday, 23 July 2012 10:20:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, agree. We don't need to impose any law totally foreign to our way of thinking or natural justice.
Also agree with David F, and a long overdue bill of human rights, which would naturally place women beside men as equals!

Clearly, the Chaplains need to be relegated back to the church, where they belong, (one out all out,) least we introduce Preachers, who'se real goal, (raison d'etre,) is to recruit and radicalise clean skins?
Who then go on to slaughter innocents, with guns if legally available, or totally indiscriminate and vastly more lethal bombs, if not?
I believe it was Marx or Lenin who said, even a vast ocean liner can be sunk, with a tiny hole that goes unnoticed.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 23 July 2012 12:10:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ms Scutt is on the right track here; while it is true, as a previous commentator notes, that Christianity is still present in schools via the Chaplaincy program of far greater concern are private religious schools.

My experience with private Christian schools is that while religion is pushed that push is anemic compared with the vigour with which Islam peddles its theology; after all Christianity has a New Testament; Islam is firmly stuck in the Old Testament equivalent position.

There is no doubt that Islam poses a continuing threat to not only the position and status of women generally in Western socities but also to the social structure of Western society itself. Islam is not a benign philosophy which can exist under the tolerant umbrella of multiculturalism; Islam uses that tolerance to replace it with its own intolerance.

Feminists like Ms Scutt need to focus their outrage on Islam and not the usual suspects in the West.
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 23 July 2012 12:14:13 PM
Polygamy? You've got to be joking. Surely most men would agree that having one wife is already a step or two too far.

And if you also happen to be a religious man, you have some mythical God telling you what to do and making out your private thoughts are sinful and will lead to eternal damnation and burning and some cleric most likely molesting your kids!

Let's ban marriage and religion, put the broom through our society, make a fresh start.

After all, we're intelligent...so someone said.
Posted by David G, Monday, 23 July 2012 12:31:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear cohenite,

In an important aspect Islam is much more New Testament then Old Testament. Both Christianity and Islam in their present form are missionary religions that emphasise spreading their respective gospels. Both Christianity and Islam maintain that one attains salvation by accepting their belief. In contrast Judaism is not a missionary religion and regards it as more important that one leads a righteous life rather than accept their brand of mumbo jumbo.
Posted by david f, Monday, 23 July 2012 1:14:20 PM
David, you say:

"In an important aspect Islam is much more New Testament then Old Testament. Both Christianity and Islam in their present form are missionary religions that emphasise spreading their respective gospels."

I am well aware of the proselytising imperatives of both Christianity [which I am not defending by the way] and Islam; but in the context of my New and Old testament statement would you care to comment on the different of methodology in proselytising between Islam and Christianity.

In a more literal sense the Koran has no updated or revision portion as the Bible does; again I am not defending Christianity and I am a supporter of a secular society, bearing in mind Christianity has played a part in the evolution of the secular state.
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 23 July 2012 1:36:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy