The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Unions and the ALP: building a broader community connection > Comments

Unions and the ALP: building a broader community connection : Comments

By Trevor Cook, published 17/7/2012

Neither of the two largest unions in the country is affiliated to the ALP which draws its personnel from declining blue collar ones.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I blame John McEnroe.
Auz has 2 problems:
1. lack of engagement. Most Aussies just aren't that interested, or at least not sufficiently interested to actually do anything more than whinge.
2. Winning is everything.
I for one was quite happy with a Whitlam style ALP. I consider Whitlam to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest reformist PM we have ever had.
And once he'd made those necessary reforms, I was happy to see him go. In fact, it would have been better for us and him if we'd gotten rid of him sooner than we did.
But winning is everything. The Hawke-Keating governments managed this largely by nudging the Liberals off the centre court, rather than offering a harder to sell Social Democratic alternative.
The Greens currently offer an alternative option and a mediating influence, much like Watson's Labour party; bargaining for concessions.
The now defunct Democrats offered a more balanced influence I think, and one which Howard should be grateful for, but sadly when the 2 majors were both jostling for the centre court, there just wasn't room for a centrist party.
I think what a lot of Aussies would like to see is a party which places their ideals before their ambitions.
In that, there appears to be only one.
And I'm not even sure of that.
Posted by Grim, Wednesday, 18 July 2012 7:27:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy