The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is Australia's emphasis on elite running performance justified? > Comments

Is Australia's emphasis on elite running performance justified? : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 16/7/2012

Now if the issue that limits selection is the cost to the taxpayer, then why not allow Australia's best athlete in each event to compete at the Olympic Games with the athlete raising his or her own money?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Australian governments for some years have been very keen on charging students for any level of tertiary education that they receive. As for the poor cousin, TAFE, here funding is being cut back, at least in Victoria any way.

Why is government spending anything on sport? Especially something like elite level sport? Why aren't these "students" subject to subject to their own HECS style funding, especially when one sees the sponsorship money that follows some of the students and sports?

My own opinion, defund the lot, sell any government owned facilities. If the sports have the money they can buy and continue to run the facilities otherwise... There are already enough bread and circuses in the various professional sporting codes and so-called gaming venues.

The lucky country? Not b....y likely.

Just my 2c worth (and I do not "donate" any of my money to elite sports)

DKit
Posted by dkit, Monday, 16 July 2012 9:07:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
dkit,
I have stated several here that Art, sport & entertainment should be self funding. No if's no but's. This ensures quality all round.
Posted by individual, Monday, 16 July 2012 12:52:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ok, let's try this; If I as a carpenter or bricklayer or general tradesman have no perceivable talent & I do a lousy job then I won't get paid or at the least will have great difficulty in getting money for what i did.
On the other side of the coin I could with no perceivable talent throw a bucket of paint onto some linen or howl as if I suffered from severe constipation & then go to the Government & apply for a grant of whatever flavour. Like the german "artist" who's art was regurgitating food onto a cement slab & the Qld Government Bureaucrat morons funded him to the tune of $115,000.-.
Of course if one can muster an "appreciative" audience then the money comes in larger packages, provided in the main by morons who don't even know what they're looking at or listening to. In the really successful cases the Government still forks out huge sums of money for security to keep the morons under control. The sensible citizen gets the privilege of paying more taxes.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 17 July 2012 7:31:48 AM
'Like the german "artist" who's art was regurgitating food onto a cement slab & the Qld Government Bureaucrat morons funded him to the tune of $115,000.-.'

Champion!

I have a new personal hero.

Pulling off that kind of shenanigan sounds like an art form to me.
Posted by Houellebecq, Tuesday, 17 July 2012 8:45:09 AM
I have a new personal hero.
Houllie,
Pray that isn't your real mentality because it's the one of far too many already.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 17 July 2012 8:26:35 PM
I'm deafened by the silence of the leftie arty-farty brigade. Surely us taxpayers owe you a living ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 18 July 2012 1:55:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy