The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > All the lonely people > Comments

All the lonely people : Comments

By David Baker, published 2/7/2012

Three out of ten Australians experienced loneliness between 2001 and 2009, and Facebook and social media weren't a cure.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Thank you David, I feel considerably more perked up for the – lonesome – chuckles I enjoyed when reading your article.

I especially liked the combination of the definition of "Loneliness – the disconnect we feel when our desire for interpersonal relationships is not met by those we perceive we currently have"

with

"Couples with children were lonelier than couples without children"

As Homer Simpson might have said, as peer reviewer, "D'oh…"

(Though in a more philosophical frame of mind he also said, "Because they’re stupid, that’s why. That’s why everybody does everything!")

So taking the risk factors into account we can reduce loneliness by: decreasing social networking communication with family and friends as well as reducing our social support foundation; not living with children; not being male or at least being female in later life and also avoiding being poorer than we wish. Oh, and moving house.

Are these optional for misanthropes?
Posted by WmTrevor, Monday, 2 July 2012 10:06:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasn't the author read that 'Every man is an island'?

Hasn't he heard that most married man live in a state of 'tongue-lashed oppression'?

Best thing to do is to buy a dog! :)
Posted by David G, Monday, 2 July 2012 12:06:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Woof!
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 2 July 2012 4:00:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Loneliness – the disconnect we feel when our desire for interpersonal relationships is not met by those we perceive we currently have.."

By that definition I've been lonely for forty years. And all this time I thought I was just horny!
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 2 July 2012 7:56:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy