The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > AGW, Hollywood and Frankenstein > Comments

AGW, Hollywood and Frankenstein : Comments

By Anthony Cox, published 28/6/2012

Prometheus is a movie that follows in the romantic tradition of Frankenstein's monster, warning mankind not to tamper with nature.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The best comment I have seen on Prometheus showed a screenshot of the screens on the spaceship control panel, and pointed out that 350 years into the future humankind is apparently still using Windows 7.

Now THERE'S a bleak vision for you!
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 28 June 2012 7:14:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh noes! Filmmakers are sacrificing scientific accuracy for entertainment narrative?

Who'da thunk it?
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 28 June 2012 9:53:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Filmmakers are sacrificing scientific accuracy for entertainment narrative?"

The same could be said about AGW scientists!
Posted by cohenite, Thursday, 28 June 2012 9:59:15 AM
Hey, hey....while we're on the subject of entertainment narrative. It seems that Anthony is onto something - Kryptonite being to Superman what cohenite is to AGW (in his dreams : )
Posted by Poirot, Thursday, 28 June 2012 10:14:51 AM
It's like Prometheus vs Plan 9 from Outer Space!
Posted by Bugsy, Thursday, 28 June 2012 10:21:43 AM
A well thought-out article, cohenite.

I have often wondered why so many of our arty types are particularly susceptible to manias, panics and popular delusions.
Sometimes I surmise ,well , it’s only natural that having been feted for half a life for your (higher) creative/artistic sensibility one might also assume that one also carried the gene for higher morality. But at other times I surmise , no, it’s just a way of making themselves more newsworthy, to hog the limelight a little longer in their twilight years.

However, there is one thing I am much more sure about. It’s that if some of the other posters on this threat (whose names I wont mention, but their initial letters are P & B) had their way. The message in the media would be driven home with a lot less subtlety. In their brave new world any screening(s) of Prometheus or Avatar would be accompanied by a prologue from Al Gore and an epilogue by Ban-Ki Moon, highlighting the AGW theme(s).
Posted by SPQR, Thursday, 28 June 2012 10:41:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy