The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > South Africa: what's in a label? > Comments

South Africa: what's in a label? : Comments

By Neve Gordon, published 15/6/2012

A new law requiring Israel to label products made beyond the Green Line will empower civil society.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Deceptive representation is deception- aimed at conning the customer, or hiding the facts of slave labour and other nastiness.
One example I discovered is the very popular "Moroccan Oil" used in almost every hair-dressing salon across Australia today.
If you didn't bother to look you may not have noticed that this "Moroccan" oil is made in Israel.
I imagine it may well have the famous Moroccan oil much loved and cherished by Moroccans and people who travel there. Its an oil obtained from plants indigenous to Morocco for those who do not know.
Now the second layer of deceit could well be that it is not even made in Israel, but in occupied Palestine.
Does anyone know? I would love to find out where.
This is one to boycott because it is so popular. And the layers of deceit that permit its growing popularity are truly mind-blowing!
Posted by laviniam, Friday, 15 June 2012 3:29:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Doesn't this move just hurt Palestinians? The companies this article is talking about aren't owned by settlers (Soda Club is owned by a guy who lives in Jerusalem, West Jerusalem), but having the factories in the West Bank gives Palestinians jobs. I'm all for a two state solution, but the EU needs to figure out if it's pro-Palestian or anti-Israeli.
Posted by SC, Saturday, 16 June 2012 1:16:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let me see if I have this straight.

You can't refer to a product as "Made in Israel" depending on which side of an imaginary armistice line it comes from.

And yet the people applauding this policy will happily refer to "Palestine" - a completely non-existent entity in any atlas.

Oh, and before anyone try to tell me all about the Palestine that was there before the Jews apparently materialised out of thin air, can I ask them one simple question: While the Jews have King Solomon, King David and an unbroken presence in the region dating back thousands of years, can you name a single "Palestinian" leader prior to Yasser Arafat (himself born in Egypt)? If not, spare us the invented history lesson.

Anyway, South Africa is now a complete basket-case as is usually the end result for any country whose Jewish population flees.
Posted by Dan Lewis, Saturday, 16 June 2012 3:36:05 PM
Dan Lewis wrote

>>Anyway, South Africa is now a complete basket-case>>

I would not call South Africa a "complete basket-case" but it certainly has some pretty serious problems. The official unemployment rate is around 25% but almost all economists agree this is a gross understatement.

More than half of all South African children live in poverty and this is African poverty. Most Africans would consider Australian poverty as luxury.

Live expectancy at birth is 49.4 years. This is up from the low point of 42 a few years ago but well down from what it was in the early 1990s.

Young people with skills are leaving the country in droves. This is not "white flight" or "Jewish flight" it is "skills flight." So many people are leaving that the population is shrinking.

Corruption is rampant.

The ANC Government seems completely unable to cope with these real problems. Much easier to focus on something irrelevant - for most South Africans - like the labeling of Israeli products.

Which leads to a question. Can a government that has kept Robert Mugabe in power really moralise too much in public?
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Sunday, 17 June 2012 1:04:20 PM
Dan,
Benjamin Netanyahu can't trace his heritage to Abraham and he admits as much, Israel is majority Ashkenazi, an Indo European people who originally came from central Asia just like the rest of us.
That being said, if Africans and Pakistanis have a right to be in England then Indo European Jews have have just as much right to be in Palestine. The big problem with Left Anti Semitism is it's rank hypocrisy, they want freedom and justice for "indigenous" Palestinians but will work to deny the same rights to indigenous Europeans.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 17 June 2012 1:09:18 PM
Dear Laviniam,

I just confirmed that Moroccan oil is produced in the town of Maalot, which is in the district of Galilee, well inside Israel's proper borders. In 2011 the company employed 280 people, including 9 intellectually-handicapped and were looking forward to employ another 4.

The trees that are used to produce this oil, require Moroccan-like climate and are therefore grown in the Orlyya farm in the Negev desert, also well within Israel's proper borders.

I take this opportunity to congratulate Neve for this excellent article and South Africa for their excellent initiative.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 18 June 2012 2:23:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy