The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Terrible consequences of ladder of escalation > Comments

Terrible consequences of ladder of escalation : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 26/4/2012

An Anzac Day statistic after statistic reminds us in graphic terms of the horror of war and the suffering and sacrifice of combatants and civilians caught up in conflict.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
And your point is?
Posted by sarnian, Thursday, 26 April 2012 10:29:35 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I see. So now Julie you are wrapping yourself in the Australian flag after ANZAC day and warning of the terrible cost of war but continuing your aggressive posturing towards Iran that has not invaded anyone for over 200 years? Look at what has happened in Iraq and Afghanistan and then, quite simply, shut up!
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Thursday, 26 April 2012 10:50:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Julie, what I find interesting is the complete lack of mention the forays into Iraq and the disaster continuing to unfold in Afghanistan.

As a long-serving Liberal parliamentary member you would have been in an excellent position to curtail or stop Australia's interventions into both of these countries, which have conclusively been based on false premise.

A little hypocritical of you to mention WW I and II, Korea, yet you fail to discuss Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, all three wars predicated on US hegemony.

Our recent involvement in Iraq, initiated by the Liberal government was a complete humanitarian disaster for the people of Iraq and has led to the complete destabilisation of the country.

Our on-going involvement in Afghanistan is ineffective and no matter what you claim, another humanitarian disaster. Afghanistan politics and rule is based on a tribal theme, no-one can solve the issues that run deep and are based on thousands of years of history.

Al-Qaida or whatever you want to call the so-call terrorists was made up by the US military-political-industrial complex to continue US hegemony after the fall of the cold war.

Money and power are the drivers of these misguided forays, unfortunately Australia has blindly followed the US into these conflicts with little understanding of why. Now we have US troops moving into the NT, what's next?
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Thursday, 26 April 2012 11:19:13 AM
Wars are invariably caused by just a few hostile "politicians", with their hands on the levers of national power! Why, madman/strongman Stalin, presided over the death of more of his countrymen post-war; than all those killed in WW11, 27 million!
Even so, the lessons of history include the fact that there is simply no way to appease psychotic tin pot despots like Herr Hitler, Pol Pot, Idi Amin and a whole host of modern day equivalents? North Korea, Iran, Syria?
Moreover, the price of peace is eternal vigilance! One can conclude with the observations that those who are mostly against war; are those like our soldiers, who have to fight them, often at as outlined, great personal sacrifice!
In the colour of war, a GI D-day veteran, concluded as he saw/helped with the release of extremely emaciated non-combatant civilians from Nazi prison camps; that some wars were completely justified; and completed his tour of duty, by taking no prisoners? Ditto Anzacs pushing back Imperial Nippon?
Another study revealed that as many as 70% of soldiers aim deliberately high and or, come back as survivors, permanently psychologically harmed?
All while the pious protected hypocrites, who never ever have to fight, helped put them in harms way, or simply stood still, when other options were available to them; wax lyrical on the horrors of war?
Good men only need stand and do nothing for evil to prosper.
Quote unquote. Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 26 April 2012 11:58:27 AM
"All while the pious protected hypocrites, who never ever have to fight, helped put them in harms way, or simply stood still, when other options were available to them; wax lyrical on the horrors of war? Good men only need stand and do nothing for evil to prosper."

A good quote.

I was proud to attend the Dawn Service yesterday wearing my medals and those of both my grandfathers, received in the service of my country and theirs at the time (UK).

I left the military following my awakening to knowledge and experience that our recent political/military forays at the behest of the US into countries that posed no threat to me, my family or country was only going to escalate and for no genuine purpose.

Iraq and Afghanistan, and the soon to be televised Syrian and Iranian efforts are at the behest of governments and their energy giants; it’s all about access to cheap energy.

Unreported in the main-stream-media is the undisputable fact that those fighting in Syria (against the Syrian government) are being supported and funded by the CIA, Mossad and a number of middle eastern fascist states (Qatar and Saudi Arabia) to further entrench US hegemony and their access to the worlds rapidly declining sources of cheap oil and gas.

Julie Bishop should hang her head in shame along with the rest of our complicit politicians.
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:41:09 PM
Julie and Julia are both promoters of war as are the U.S., Britain, etc. WW2 was a just war but all of those since have been wars of choice and millions have been killed.

Passionate and tearful words on ANZAC DAY do not sweep under the carpet the horrors wrought by Western Imperial Powers since WW2.

I find their hypocrisy sickening!

www.dangerouscreation.com
Posted by David G, Thursday, 26 April 2012 1:43:54 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy