The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Uprooting 30,000 Bedouin in Israel > Comments

Uprooting 30,000 Bedouin in Israel : Comments

By Neve Gordon, published 10/4/2012

Plans to move entire communities and put them in townships would deprive them of their livelihood and land rights.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
No comments? Nobody cares about the Bedouins? The colonial mentality seems to be live and well.
There was a joke that did the rounds around the time GW was planning his invasion of Iraq.
It goes something like this.
The president was being briefed by military planners etc. and the matter of civilian deaths (otherwise euphemistically known as collatoral damage) came up.
The president asked how many can we expect?
Failing any possible realistic answer a joker replied "Maybe 10.000 Iraqis- and one bicycle repairman!"
"Whats with the bicycle repairman?" the pres asks.
Later, someone says "See! I told you he wouldn't care about 10,000 dead Iraqis!"
It seems ditto re the fate of 30,000 bedouins.
What an indictement on the egos of those who like to play politics with people's lives.
Posted by laviniam, Thursday, 12 April 2012 12:01:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< comments? Nobody cares about the Bedouins? The colonial mentality seems to be live and well>>

Oh, I wouldn’t be too harsh on them Laviniam. I suspect it’s more the case that after reading 10,000 articles criticizing every aspect of Israeli policy.And nary and article critically examining the other-side's treatment of Bedouins, AND Turkmen, AND Assyrians, AND Armenians, AND Berbers –in fact, every minority they come into contact with from Thailand to Timbuktu, the audience is a little jaded and cynical when faced with yet another Israel-anti-human-rights scoop.

Particularly when, the article is hyped by someone who seems to want to base a Sunday-School morality lesson around it.
Posted by SPQR, Friday, 13 April 2012 8:50:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I recall once hearing a representative from Al Jazeera responing to criticism against AJ for showing graphic images of dead women, men and children during the war in Iraq. he said that if you dont want to see pictures of the dead, stop killing them!
I would say much the same to those who are tired of reading about or listening to people criticising Israel's treatment of the Palestinians.
Posted by laviniam, Monday, 16 April 2012 2:54:26 PM
No one is objecting to you showing your (un)happy snaps laviniam.
My only gripe is that your photographic album seems to be very limited in scope: only capturing the wrong-doings of one side.

To follow-on from your AJ example. One might ask why when evidence indicates that 12% of civilian deaths are the result of allied activities,some 90% of AJ's coverage is about that 12% ?
Posted by SPQR, Tuesday, 17 April 2012 7:50:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy