The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Hunger Games: media hype and social marketing > Comments

The Hunger Games: media hype and social marketing : Comments

By Evelyn Tsitas, published 5/4/2012

Let children settle the debate over The Hunger Games for themselves.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
...I personally hold sufficient faith in our childrens ability to withstand the negativity of the money making machine called the movie industry, than to worry that their psychological welfare will be compromised by the fantasies of fiction!
Posted by diver dan, Thursday, 5 April 2012 11:33:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thank the question and dont think much of it. Hands together for the old ways, but are we all that stupid?....(madness to make a dollar).....but what are we to do?....Trading has been done for thousands of years....so why should we change.

I have one answer.

Smile
Posted by planet 3, Thursday, 5 April 2012 11:33:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think the author may well be missing the point a little. The book and novel are less about what teenagers might do to each other and far more about what old men in positions of power are capable of.

Two of the things I did today were seeing "The Hunger Games" and reading a piece about Hana Shalabi, a Palestinian who had been on a 43 day old hunger strike while in Administrative Detention (detention without trial) in Israel. Two weeks ago she was expelled into the Gaza strip (District 12?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Shalabi

“Collins' protagonist Katniss Everdeen's strength is her skill as a hunter, but her weakness is her lack of media appeal, which will lead to decreased opportunity for sponsors that provide products to help her stay alive in the arena.”

The Gaza Strip is an area the Israeli government held on the brink of a humanitarian catastrophe.

“On 20th June Israel announced it was easing the blockade of Gaza, after three years of severely restricting access for food, fuel, construction materials and medical supplies. In October a delegation from the Britain Palestine All Party Parliamentary Group visited Gaza to assess the situation in what Prime Minister David Cameron terms “a prison camp”. Its report has now been published.”
Jews for Justice for Palestinians

I think a comparative essay set for our students might be a good thing.
Posted by csteele, Saturday, 14 April 2012 10:34:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy