The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Democratic dysfunction in thumping Queensland result > Comments

Democratic dysfunction in thumping Queensland result : Comments

By Crispin Hull, published 2/4/2012

Labor in Queensland was robbed.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All
Here in Western Australia the ALP campaigned to bring in one vote one value which was brought in in a somewhat modified form in 2006. A redistribution was carried out which on the surface was favourable to the ALP but with a hopeless Carpenter junta not even that could save their skin in 2008.Perhaps Anna Bligh and Julia Gillard and their zombie cohorts should have read the writing on the wall and however uncomfortable stuck to what they promised ar their respective elections. then we would not be told "We woz robbed" as this writer implies.
Posted by Vioetbou, Monday, 2 April 2012 8:23:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The situation could also be ameliorated by Qld having a bicameral parliament, like every other state
Posted by Grim, Monday, 2 April 2012 8:24:08 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent article, stating what I have been thinking ever since I learned about the Queensland state election results. This is indeed very bad for democracy. [Like to add that I am critical but quite neutral when it comes to politics, not leaning towards either Liberals or ALP, could go either way]
Posted by KeesB, Monday, 2 April 2012 8:54:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Crispin,

Qld has optional preferential voting. Don't you think that would tend to undermine your argument about over representation by NLP members.

Nearly 40% of the Greens(7%) preferences were exhausted and Katters hatters got 11% but I don't know their preference flows.

That might also undermine your argument somewhat, don't you think?

The overwhelming majorities obtained by Beattie in the early 2000's didn't at all lead to dysfunction ... so why would Newman's overwhelming majority not do the same.

Is it a bias you have that suggests the cases might be different?

I might also ask, which members 'are not the sort of people equipped for the job'? Did you state the the same of the Labor members of the Labor landslides?

The Red party has not just been knocked out, they've tossed out of the ring altogether ... and only because of their sorry performance not because of cronyism or criminality.

I tend to agree with Hayden, the ALP has had it's day... and I'd add calls for changes to the electrol system cannot do anything to save them.

I also note you leave out any reference to the other element in our system. The media. It will hold the Newman Goverment to account ... where it didn't during Beattie's and Bligh's reigns ... of inaction.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 2 April 2012 9:32:54 AM
imajulianuter, I think you are being a bit too kind to the Beattie lead government. Lots of dodgy stuff during that era, the massive syphoning of funds from GOC's rather than investing in necessary maintenance and upgrading being one. The sheer number of Labor mates on the boards of GOC's being another part of that.

The tie between government advertising and the media presents on ongoing issue regarding the media holding the government to account. The media treads a difficult line when it goes after acustomer with a multi million dollar advertising budget.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 2 April 2012 9:45:29 AM
Good article Crispin.

But the things you discuss are overwhelmed by bigger considerations. The biggest is that the Libs and Labs are virtually identical. We simply don’t have a meaningful choice!!

They’re both absolutely in bed with big business, big donations and big growth!

Any political entity that espouses a philosophy different to massive never-ending economic and population growth simply doesn’t get a look-in. Even in 2012 with absolutely massive problems with rapid population growth in southeast Queensland and a very large amount of concern about it, we don’t have a meaningful alternative political force competing or office.

The amount of concern about this sort of thing that is being expressed on forums like OLO is just totally not reflected in government!

THIS is the really big flaw in our supposedly democratic system!
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 2 April 2012 10:24:01 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy