The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sharing pain, not wealth > Comments

Sharing pain, not wealth : Comments

By Daniel Ben-Ami, published 16/3/2012

Ironically those who claim to speak on behalf of the 99% are at the vanguard of selling austerity to the public.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Good article. Its amazing how the Labor Party and those on the wealthy Left cannot see themselves as part of the elite. Simply by sympathising with and encouraging protest from those who feel hard done by seems to make people like Swan believe he is one of them.
Posted by Atman, Friday, 16 March 2012 3:27:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I like this article in that it exposes the ideology of austerity that's currently being foisted in some parts of the world, and the fact that the austerity is being paid by the least well-off while the rich are largely immune. But I suspect the author's a wolf in sheep's clothing.
I for one will never seek to reduce my carbon footprint while the rich live so outrageously beyond anything sustainable or conscionable. I'm all for cutting consumption and its polluting by-products, but I'm damned if I'll ever seek to reduce my environmental footprint before the wealthy cut their's (preferably at the neck). What the world is yet to wake up to is that austerity should be imposed from the top down!
Where I disagree (vehemently) with the author is on the notion, the endless/mindless refrain, that economic growth is the cure. I also find his central contention--that governments are preferring austerity over growth because they're gloomy, rather than confronted by harsh realities--ludicrous. Economic growth hitherto, or for the last few decades, has been fabricated from a breath-taking credit binge (public and private) who's debts now preclude any hope of "healthy" growth born of production or innovation (no growth is healthy for the environment but that's another topic).
It's certainly true that austerity imposed on the poor, a la King John, is never going to restore "prosperity" (i.e. profits for the rich), but growth can no longer be conjured up with credit either.
This bloke's selling snake oil.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 16 March 2012 6:10:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
But, Squeers - we in the West "are" the rich people.
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 16 March 2012 8:37:09 PM
Squeers - we in the West "are" the rich people.
Poirot,
This one of your more profound rose-coloured statements. This is not the sort of idealistic nonsense we need to combat the crisis.
Are you saying that the multi billionaires & other obscenely rich of the East with their fleets of planes, ships & cars are part of the West ? The West which has millions of people just making enough to get through the day ? Those whose labour for peanuts keeps so many useless bureaucrats in a comfortable existence ?
You really are in great need of a dose of reality.
Posted by individual, Friday, 16 March 2012 8:53:56 PM
True Poirot, but then all things are relative and there's a wealthy elite presiding over every impoverished nation, just as there is every wealthy nation. And it's not just about money and power; our very worth is gauged by our material footprint, such that greenies are doubly, neigh triply, cursed; they take on the mantle of brainless idealists, worthless bludgers, and Christ-like dupes to the Romans, who continue on regardless. I'd rather go down with the wealthy than effectively be of their working-class martyrs. That's why the world over the working classes accept the ongoing con-job that keeps them in check, meekly being punished for the excesses of the money manipulators; because they've got not dignity that's not vested in real estate or blue chip stocks, and thus no balls.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 16 March 2012 8:55:18 PM
individual,

You're the one who could do with a dose of "reality".

To be underprivileged in the West is worlds away from third world impoverishment. Although not having enough to pay for all the stuff you've been encouraged to buy on credit is definitely painful.

Who starves to death or dies from a preventable disease in rich industrial nations?
Posted by Poirot, Friday, 16 March 2012 9:13:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy