The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Soon-to-be-Iran... > Comments

Soon-to-be-Iran... : Comments

By Daphne Haneman, published 13/1/2012

Iran's terror of the 'age of orphans' still echoes in its present.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Demonising past sins of Iran will not justify its invasion.Just look at the history of Britian,USA and Israel.They are far worse.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 13 January 2012 8:32:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will say for starters that I liked your writing style and how you got me interested and engrossed. I feel like I should read this book now.

I would also say that I have no idea what the first person who commented is talking about. I don't see anything that says someone should invade Iran because of that country's terrible past and equally repulsive present. I also have no idea what the second commenter is referring to. I don't think one needs to discuss every world atrocity to discuss but one. It seems very defensive of an oppressive government and needing to attack others as a deflection.

I loved your last line so much! I think you took from the book that the terribleness that eventually led to the Iranian Revolution was simply replaced by another so much like the first; that countless other innocent children are being taken from their worlds and indoctrinated into a dogmatic cult of a "one size fits all this is who we are and you must fall in line" thinking.

Anyway, that's what I got and I think I will order the book now.
Posted by STP, Friday, 13 January 2012 10:00:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...And a book that highlights the distinction between mental illness and moral depravity; something the West has a need to correlate and decipher.

...I must say, a beautifully written and constructed review, which has achieved in me a “salivating” longing to read the book, and an alertness to think a little deeper when imbibing in the next "chai-tea".
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 13 January 2012 11:57:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author ends with "Some say the terror persists" - indeed it does.

The terror of creating orphans and brainwashing them into amoral child soldiers has in more modern form existed among:

- killer children of Khymer Rouge (Cambodia, 1970s),

- AK-47 toting 12 year olds in Central Africa for two decades to this day, and

- more recently anti-Gaddafi 12 year olds in Libya, where schools closed while shooting was much more fun anyway.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 13 January 2012 12:08:07 PM
A beautifully written review that manages to successfully blend the difficult task of objective critique with a very personal response. There are few more complex histories than that of Iran and anything that contributes to our understanding of this place is surely a good thing. Finding a route to access the complex psychology of the Iranian people could well begin with looking at what happened to a generation of children. I look forward to reading the book, and more reviews by this reviewer.
Posted by Jza, Friday, 13 January 2012 8:51:05 PM
[Deleted. Abusive of author.]
Posted by one under god, Saturday, 14 January 2012 7:08:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy