The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How travel broadens the mind > Comments

How travel broadens the mind : Comments

By Rafe Champion, published 9/1/2012

It is often better to travel than to arrive, particularly with a good book in hand.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
"It is often better to travel than to arrive, particularly with a good book in hand."
You obviously haven't travelled to and from Europe in economy class recently.
Good post.
Posted by shal, Monday, 9 January 2012 8:31:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, I didn't choose the subtitle, I thought it was quite neat but I have done Australia to Europe in the cattle class and you are so right, the joy of arrival trumps any good reading along the way!
Posted by Pericles2, Monday, 9 January 2012 9:01:09 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rafe, well done; most of the MSM is locked into the ideological narrative of AGW, namely that the world is in imminent peril from increases in CO2; some of the MSM have been sceptical from day one and the rest, with open minds, like your good self, are coming to the 'AGW is a scam' realisation.

This resonates:

"Recall the spread of values in predicted Australian rainfall, with an average increase of about 8 mm per annum. According to Paltridge the CSIRO model used by Garnaut predicted 100 mm per annum less rainfall. In scientific terms that model is the outlier that would probably be rejected by rigorous scientists, but it is the basis of the argument for our CO2 tax."

This, and let's be frank, model fabrication, was also the basis of QLD water storage policy whereby Somerset and primarily Wivenhoe dams were used as water storage dams in anticipation of a drying of the environment, as predicted by AGW 'science' instead of being used as flood mitigation devices, as they were intended, particularly Wivenhoe.

What this means, in practical terms, is that both the dams were full of water and had no capacity to vitiate the flow of water from storms such as the 2010 event, which was no different from the 1974 storm and flood.

The 2010 catastrophe, along with the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria, is a prime example of how wrong science and policy based on that science can be devastating to the nation. This is in addition, of course, to the huge and ongoing waste of funds being directed to AGW 'science' and policies based on this 'science'.
Posted by cohenite, Monday, 9 January 2012 10:56:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rafe,

You've obviously never sailed an ocean solo.

Let me tell you two things:

Arriving can be everything. Absolute everything. Such unmitigated joy in accomplishment.

Some travel also broadens the self confidence.

Love your posts.
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 9 January 2012 7:00:40 PM
My eye lit upon the sentence about Monckton winning the debate at the Press Club. My recall is that this fraud was comprehensively beaten in every open debate in this country whether the environment or the economy was the issue. My impression is that dilettantes like him only do well in preaching to the converted.
Posted by Steveof Robbo, Sunday, 15 January 2012 8:11:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy