The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Three books that made me > Comments

Three books that made me : Comments

By John Töns, published 5/1/2012

Language, irrationality and limits - three books and three different but perhaps related lessons.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Wow. I'll certainly give John full marks for concise.
Posted by Peter Hume, Saturday, 7 January 2012 5:17:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thinking about books that I think have inpacted on how I think and see the world.

One that is clearly on my list is Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" which is premised on the concept of language and it's impact on of perception of reality. Also a lot there about questioning assumptions.

The bible has a significant role both from it's impact on our society and on my own life. Some great good and some terrible wrong in that (and both influenced to some degree by how some parts have been intepreted along the way).

All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten by Robert Fulghum is another book which has had a massive effect on me. Get a start with http://www.peace.ca/kindergarten.htm

The other book that's easily on my list is Barry Lopez's "Arctic Dreams" http://www.barrylopez.com/ . I think that's because it's taught me some more of the "Look" part of life and the sheer joy of a words that bring a place and sense to life on the page.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 9 January 2012 7:54:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy