The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dying to reach Australia - the JP boat tragedy > Comments

Dying to reach Australia - the JP boat tragedy : Comments

By Duncan Graham, published 23/12/2011

Thousands of asylum seekers have lost their lives because the politicians have failed to find a humane solution to the people smuggling curse.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All
"Australian politicians have blood on their hands. So do their Indonesian counterparts.
It's the blood of hundreds of asylum seekers who have perished in the Killing Seas trying to get from the Archipelago to Australia. They lost their lives because the politicians have failed to find a humane solution to the people smuggling curse."

What, no self-responsibility for getting on an overcrowded boat, no self-responsibility for illegally paying a smuggler to enter Australia?
Another rubbish article trying to shift the blame and create perpetual victims.
Posted by Aristocrat, Friday, 23 December 2011 10:44:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Duncan there are a lot wider issues than blaming the Indonesian and Australian Governments regarding refugees.
Lets take Iraq, George bush invaded this country because "God " told him to do so, out of this invasion 1 million Iraquis were killed and many more injured, 3 thousand American soldiers killed or injured, 4.7 million people were turned into refugees, perhaps a lot of these people are on the leaky boats trying to come here, so where is the blame?, not Australia or Indonesia, America has a lot to answer for regarding the state of the world at present, Iran is next on the list for invasion, then there will be millions more of refugees.
My main concern with the mainly Muslim men on these boats is why are they wanting to come here to a non Muslim Country, why not Malaysia, what is the ulterior motive, do we have to worry about "Sharia Law" in the future, why don't they join the legititmate refugees on a waiting list, why pay big money to end your life on a leaky boat, most on these boat people look well fed, I think most Australians would agree with my comments, if these refugees are placed eventually into the Australian way of life, then abide by our laws, or else do not come here in the first place on leaky boats.
I remember when the "10 pound poms" arrived in Australai from England after the war, they lived in terrible conditions then, Nissan huts etc, but they didn't complain, but take a look at the new immigrant refugees they want to be looked after from the day they arrive.
My last comment, if you are stupid enough to get on a leaky boat then you have to put up with the consequences of arriving safely, it is your decision nobody elses, don't blame Australia or Indonesia look at the wider issue behind all of this.
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 23 December 2011 10:56:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think we need to hold a referendum, those who wish to support illegals, and those who don't.

The do,s can then have a self imposed level on themselves, pay the bills and feel all warm and fuzzy.

Now I would not be so critical about this if I could arrive in their country, unannounced, take up residency, enjoy the fruits of their tax payers all because I no longer wish to live here.

It has been suggested that these illegals get more in benefits than that of an Australian old age pensioner, who, after working their entire life, gets left on the scrap heap because we simply don't have the resources to fund all of our governmentS whims.
Posted by rehctub, Friday, 23 December 2011 10:59:16 AM
If there is any blame to be laid anywhere but the illegal boat people themselves, it is Duncan & his bleeding heart mates, along with the Greens, all of who encourage these people to come here in the first place.

People smugglers would not exist if there were not many dishonest people, who will pay for a boat ride to our welfare system, for themselves. These worthless people, who will not put the effort into building a homeland worth living in should never be allowed into Oz, on any terms. They are just not worth having.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 23 December 2011 11:14:43 AM
Duncan Graham, you noted that the survivors were being represented by an Australian lawyer. Could you please explain why these people need a lawyer, are they suing someone for getting on the boats? Who is paying for this lawyer? Who is being held responsible for the bad weather that actually caused this disaster?
This is just on of the reasons these people come to Australia, free access to everything paid for by the Australian Taxper.
Posted by MAREELORRAINE, Friday, 23 December 2011 11:25:39 AM
I agree that people who get on overcrowded leaky boats in the monsoon season have themselves to blame if the thing sinks.
I also think that if and when they do get here, we are obliged to find space in our national system to accommodate them. And lets not forget that this influx of refugees will only get bigger, so either we figure out a method of accommodation, or we start turning the boats around and may the devil take the hindmost.
The biggest danger to Australia is the recent life experience of those arriving, whether they arrive illegally or not. Many (most?) come from war zones, either in Africa which is not of our doing, or from the Middle East where we do bear some responsibility. How we deal with this influx of people who have known personal, in-the-face violence in ways most of us can barely imagine will become part of the Australian narrative in the coming decades.
Posted by halduell, Friday, 23 December 2011 11:54:16 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy