The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Avoiding strategic miscalculations > Comments

Avoiding strategic miscalculations : Comments

By Ioan Voicu, published 16/12/2011

The current geopolitical environment requires fresh answers to fundamental questions of vital interest for all countries of the Asia-Pacific region.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Some of the 9 principles enunciated in the article do not stand up under analysis.

Item 4 and 7 are contradictory.

4. Non-interference in the internal affairs of another country;

7. Respect for fundamental freedoms, the promotion and protection of human rights, and of social justice;

Not to make judgments as to any current government let us consider Nazi Germany. Non-interference in the internal affairs of Germany meant acceptance of Germany’s lack of respect for fundamental freedoms, the promotion and protection of human rights, and of social justice. There are many other countries current in the world of which we could say the same.

I question item 5.

5. Recognition and respect for the diversity of ethnic, religious, cultural traditions and values, as well as diversity of views and positions, including by promoting the voices of moderation;

Free speech means giving all points of view equal rights. Promoting the voices of moderation means some authority will decide what the voices of moderation are and give them priority.

I have no respect for any national identity. I have respect for human beings. I hope for the day when nations become nothing more than convenient administrative units and no one is willing to die to preserve or extend the nation’s power.
Posted by david f, Friday, 16 December 2011 10:19:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As long as the EAS doesn't go the way of APEC (with over emphasis on leadership summit for competing great powers) there is hope of progress for peaceful discussions with substantial content. See the Wiki description of the EAS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asia_Summit

Notably the EAS now includes most great powers (China, India, Japan, Russia and the USA) so the slide to competition within this summit may be beginning.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 16 December 2011 11:42:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy