The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The long march of Fightback > Comments

The long march of Fightback : Comments

By Stephen Kirchner, published 13/12/2011

Comprehensive tax reform would constitute a supply-side revolution for the Australian economy and dwarf Fightback and the 1998 tax package in its economic implications.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
A supply-side revolution means completely removing the tax burden from the production/origin base, and placing it on (at best) an economic rent base or (at worst) a consumption/destination base.
Posted by grputland, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 9:24:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
All economic jargon. It will never get to first base.
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 9:48:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Talk about blood everywhere! You're a brave man Stephen, shooting down half a dozen sacred cows in just a couple of paragraphs.

I was expecting great things, but I think the second page went missing in computer land somewhere. Did you do all that shooting just to waffle off into generalities?

You'll have come back & give us some details, before we can form an opinion of your ideas. Gillard's indulging in tax reform, just almost all of it misguided, & much of Henry's stuff was from a particular ideology, not to the liking of most of the few people I know, who have thought about it.

So don't hide your light under a bush, come back & tell us about it all.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 9:58:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Apparently there are two brands of Economists; one dedicated to Financial Economy and the other to Substantial Economy.

Mr. Kirchener seems to profess the first brand.

I am convinced that the people I encounter when I get out of my place, understand well the personal economical problems facing them, but, like me, cannot understand what afflict Mr. Kirchner.

Probably he may be afflicted by his incapability of understanding that everyone, including the Economists, have to positively contribute to the substantial needs of their community.
Posted by skeptic, Tuesday, 13 December 2011 10:34:23 AM
what we need is a exclusive tax system, that means all tax is outside the CPI, BPI etc. this will mean no business tax's as business will be unable to pass on tax, making a far more competitive economy that can compete on the world market with higher wages that we have in australia.
as for tax revenue, the GST should apply to all "consumption of wealth"
what this mean in reality, is that all money consumed for consumption of wealth is taxed. who has a problem with that?
this mean any funds or wealth taken overseas, will have the GST applied.
this can be offset for business with a rebate system as applies to the domestic situation at the moment.
this will put all business on a equal footing, and still allow free trade principles to apply.
taxing of wealth consumption, whether spent domestic or overseas is equal treatment.
being able to take money/wealth for consumption off shore should be treated the same as spending onshore.
Posted by dunart, Friday, 23 December 2011 9:13:12 AM
"everyone, including the Economists, have to positively contribute to the substantial needs of their community."
It is my long held view that we have too many 'business non producers' in the community who gouge a far too big piece of the pie for their menial contribution they make to our economy. The banks are a prime example of what I'm talking about. They are a necessary evil we have to put up with.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 24 December 2011 7:34:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy