The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sandilands: offensive, and more > Comments

Sandilands: offensive, and more : Comments

By Helen Pringle, published 5/12/2011

Intimidation and threats on the basis of race or sex are offensive and no path to equality.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
So why are those people who think that Kyle is crude but not sexist wrong? One example of racism and zero examples of sexism doesn't prove anything.
Posted by benk, Monday, 5 December 2011 6:46:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nup. Sorry, it really does come down to taste and delivery. There ARE commediens who could pull stuff like that off, through talent and appealing to a different class of people.

Just looking at the guy makes me want to punch the pr1ck, but I see his very existence as a symptom of the hyper-PC environment so many are sick of.

That guy from Top Gear said all the striking people in the UK should be lined up and shot...... in front of their families. Any sane, normal person would see that level of hyperbole as a sign he may not be 100% serious. But then the outrage industy kicks into gear. Tedium erupts, and the same game the parasites of the opinion columns have been stuffing themselves on for the last 10 years continues.

I am so sick of this outrage industry. I am even more sick of the fact their puny brains don't grasp the fact that people like Kyle rely on people like you to make a living.

In fact people like you rely on people like Kyle to make a living!

Stop the pretence!

So, sure, you say it's MORE than offensive, it's racist!, it's sexist!

Meh. Seriously man, there are so many instances of real sexism and racism that actually affect people, but you concerntrate on the low lying fruit and stick your chest out for someone to put a badge on.

Stop reinforcing a culture of triviality with pendantic attention to pop-culture. You're using his 'fame' like a parasite.

Pick on an un-famous person or even better a real issue to make your point. NO, but you want some sort of pay-off that you wouldn't get from using a real and serious instance of sexism or racism.

They're words! People should use them. F%ck 'offence'. It has nothing to do with 'rights'. Don't get me started on 'human rights', or I'll really get pissed off. I may even hunt someone down!

Nobody has a right not to be offended. Even women and black people.

PS: I will not really hunt you down. Duh!
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 5 December 2011 8:04:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once again, find any academic in any university in this country who has ever written something positive about the male gender.

Set aside a number of years, have available a spare pair of reading glasses, buy a new kettle for making coffee, buy a room heater for cold nights, and begin.

It could be possible that something will be found.
Posted by vanna, Monday, 5 December 2011 10:07:50 AM
good post. followed by inane comments
Posted by shal, Monday, 5 December 2011 10:21:12 AM
Sandilands, Deveny or our recent tax paid vile ABC FM attacks on the PM and her boyfriend. All vile however at leat Sandilads was not funded by the taxpayer.
Posted by runner, Monday, 5 December 2011 10:51:14 AM
Helen, please contact me to set a date.

I will make a month available to you, for a course on "How To Turn Off The TV".

Now I do realise you are involved in Arts & Social Sciences, so I understand you are not too big on practical matters, but I believe I could train you to understand that you do not have to watch cr4p on TV if you don't want to. I believe I could actually teach you to master that on/off switch in just 30 days.

Then you just might manage to do something of some value with your time. Some of us live in hope. Misguided I know, but some of us must.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 5 December 2011 11:54:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy