The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sydney and Melbourne: a tale of two audiences > Comments

Sydney and Melbourne: a tale of two audiences : Comments

By Peter West, published 23/11/2011

Bad manners are in rude health.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Being resident in Canberra , I cannot comment about Sydney / Melbourne differences . However , I entirely about with the comments regarding inconsiderate and ignorant behaviour at public performances particularly with mobile phones .
The technodills who cannot switch off , or at least switch their mobile phones to a silent call , do not appear to understand that , while using this device , it is not necessary to shout , as the listener can hear you even if they are in the next suburb . The unfortunate person sitting near the caller has no interest in hearing the conversation , particularly if it concerns private matters .

Most of these " conversations " are meaningless . The caller asks the recipient what he is doing and where he is . The caller then tells the same information to the recipient , and concludes " I 'll ring you again later ".

Similarly , many people appear to be incapable of seeing anything , however insignificant , without taking a photo of it . There is a need for some technology to be installed in entertainment venues and public traasnsport , which renders the use of mobile phones and cameras impossible in those places . This would be unfortunate on the very rare occasions when there is a genuine need to make a phone call or take a photo , but the person wishing to do so can step outside or alight before making the call / taking the photo .
Posted by jaylex, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 7:51:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Kids are kids. They need clear rules that are enforced. Tell them they shouldn't make be disruptive or talk on their phone. Tell they they'll be kicked out if they do. It would only require 2 or 3 evictions and it would be solved.
Posted by DavidL, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 9:24:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Silly me.

I thought "Grumpy Old Men" was merely a conceit around which to build a momentarily amusing TV series. Clearly, I was wrong, and such people do exist in "real life".

Having been a regular Sydney opera-goer for over twenty years, I can honestly say that I have never once encountered the behaviours described by Mr West. Sure, we have a few happy-snappers every so often, mostly when there is a cruise ship tied up at Circular Quay, but they are invariably cautioned - very politely but firmly - by the ushers at the doors.

And for sheer breathtaking banality, this takes the biscuit:

"Second, Melbourne audiences are more attentive. They are expected to sit quietly through 15 hours of Wagner's cycle, The Ring. Sydney has a lower attention span."

When Adelaide delivered the Ring Cycle in 2004, it was estimated that 80% of the audience were out-of-towners - including many from overseas. When the Ring is performed in Melbourne in 2013, I fully expect the same percentages to apply. Nothing to do with the attentiveness of Melburnians, and I am staggered that Adrian Collette would make such a sweeping generalization. Could you perhaps provide a source, Mr West?

But I guess in an article stuffed full of generalized grumpiness, one more won't be noticed.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 9:26:28 AM
kids brought up as the centre of the universe think they are. Its the parents who discipline and teach the kids respect that are classed the abusers these days. Welcome to a secularized society.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 10:19:37 AM
Come on Peter, out with it. I know you want to tell it as it is, so why mot.

It's a woman thing. Females can't manage for even a few seconds without wanting to communicate, & the mobile is their new bible. On any bus, train, or even driving, a bloke may be listening to his Ipad or reading, but the ladies will be playing with their phone.

With many of them it is easier to talk to them by texting them than in any other way, even when they are in the same room. You almost have to text or phone them, to get through the crush.

To say it's offensive is really not going far enough. I recently drove for over an hour, & waited for over half an hour, to pick up from the airport, my youngest daughter, who has been in Darwin for some months.

If I expected to learn all about her life in Darwin I was disappointed. After the hello, thanks for coming, she pulled out her phone, & only stopped mucking with it when we reached our gate, over an hour later.

When I later pointed out that I was offended that the 2 & 3/4 hours of my life I had spent picking her up was worth only 35 seconds of communication, she was shocked, but not contrite.

I still know nothing of her life in Darwin, & I hope the train trip back to the airport allowed her lots of phone time
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 11:48:44 AM
Umm... who cares? It's the opera, for God's sake - the single most over-rated and least entertaining art form in the known universe.
Posted by The Acolyte Rizla, Wednesday, 23 November 2011 2:07:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy