The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The design dilemma > Comments

The design dilemma : Comments

By Donald Richardson, published 20/10/2011

Simon Crean's discussion on the future of culture and the arts faces some hurdles of popular understanding.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Readers may wish to access the theory on which the article is based, which is expressed in my new book - What Art Is - and Isn't - which is published in New York, but available from Barnes and Noble and
Amazon on line.
Or contact me through my website, <donaldart.com.au>
Posted by donaldart, Thursday, 20 October 2011 11:26:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, well. 'The Arts' in Australia certainly is an 'industry' -- and a mature one at that. It's obvious: just consider the size of the bureaucracy. For each branch of 'art' you have something like ten civil servants, each earning $120,000/yr, whose job is to distribute $500,000 in grants once annually. They solicit complex 20-page applications from thousands of hungry 'artists' nationwide, then gift between $10,000 and $50,000 to each of 30-odd lucky recipients, taking due care to ensure all states and territories receive a share, all ethnicities and cultures are represented, and as many neophyte try-hards are rewarded as established long-term practitioners. This process is overseen by teams of senior arts administrators, each supported by a seven-figure budget, whose job is to generate good publicity amongst Parliamentarians and the commentariat, and to prevent public funds from falling into the hands of 'artists' whose work could be classified as demotic (i.e. popular) as opposed to properly proletarian (i.e. ideologically trendy). This is high-minded support of Australia's proud culture, and not in the least mercenary; hence, it would be out of bounds to notice if the book was ever published, the play performed, or the the painting sold. It's very gratifying to get a grant -- I've scored a couple over the years. Recipients of government largesse receive respect and admiration (if sometimes grudging) for their achievement. What they don't get, of course, is a salary. It's an honour, but all up, I'd rather be the paper-pusher with a six-figure income, thank you very much.
Posted by donkeygod, Thursday, 20 October 2011 8:46:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks, Donkeygod, for not getting my point - and for MAKING MY POINT!!
donaldart
Posted by donaldart, Thursday, 20 October 2011 10:08:41 PM
Donkey, I'm sure you had fun spending it, but didn't it make you feel just a little dirty, receiving funds from such a disgusting system?
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 20 October 2011 11:03:05 PM
Yes, Hasbeen. Just a little. But I got over it. The thought of somebody else walking off with $25K and wasting it on some dreadful, politically correct contemporary novel of urban angst was just too ... y'know? So I wrote a book of ... poetry. Heh, heh, heh ...
Posted by donkeygod, Friday, 21 October 2011 12:24:32 PM
Good on you Donkey, well done.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 21 October 2011 4:26:49 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy