The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A 7.30 affair > Comments

A 7.30 affair : Comments

By Phil Dye, published 18/10/2011

ABC current affairs is neglecting what is current in favour of fripperies.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I too was bemused by the inclusion of the recent blatant book promotion on 7.30 but was quite pleased in a way as it gave me opportunity to leave ABC1 in pursuit of more newsworthy items. Being a grumpy old man I no longer have much interest in what women want as their demands are never ending and they can never be satisfied no matter how hard I try!
But enough of that ...
I have noticed an increase in populist media trends in other ABC undertakings most notably ABC Classic FM radio. I don't beleive this station can legitimately call itself classic any longer as I hear increased amount of world music, alternative music as well as poem readings and other spoken narratives. On challenging ABC programmers on this I am told they are simply responding to public demand. But I am not told who the public is other than it is a younger audience. Hmmm ... Thank goodness for SBS and community radio!
Posted by ZandR, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 7:59:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I too was amazed At this. Doesn't it breach the ABC guidelines? It was just an ad for her book!
Posted by Kareninaus, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 9:43:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe we can use our What the people want polls to give the ABC some feedback on their programs. I wonder whether Friends of the ABC would be interested in participating.
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 10:37:47 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I missed that 7.30 Report (fortunately, apparently), but I've noticed these weakenings and interventions from above on ABC TV and radio. And I do so want to love ABC. Goodonya, Phil
Posted by maryman, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 11:02:33 AM
Irrespective of the subject of the book, and the somewhat tenuous connection between the author and the ABC, the kicker for me is the gratingly self-absorbed Nikki Gemmel. She is so utterly pleased with herself that it made poor television with not a lot of entertainment value - not that Leigh Sales gave any indication of concern for audience engagement.

For the mutual admiration smarm-fest (sorry, interview) to be permitted to run for 8 minutes (thanks for that information about the duration - I didn't last the distance) was foolishly indulgent and boring TV, seemingly a long way from the remit of the nation's leading current affairs program.
Posted by Ozlabyrinth, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 11:13:02 AM
Thank you Phil for a such a well written piece. The ABC has lost its way, for all intents and purposes ignores its charter and it's decline tracks the government's. Mark Scott in a quote easily found said he believed the ABC's duty was to serve the political intentions of the government (legitimate government I'm sure means to him left-liberal and statist).

The 'progressive' Green-Labor party has seriously injured it's public standing and likely excluded itself from government for a generation, similarly the 'progressive' ABC model has proven a failure. Talk now is about how the ABC will be broken up, decentralised, and released from its bondage to ideological inner city leftists.
Posted by Martin Ibn Warriq, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 11:36:17 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy