The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How to enjoy ironing in the early hours > Comments

How to enjoy ironing in the early hours : Comments

By Geoff Ellis, published 13/10/2011

The mysteries of ABC RN programs Sound Quality and Quiet Space.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Thanks I enjoyed that.
Posted by Troposa, Thursday, 13 October 2011 4:38:43 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's this fantastic new invention called sound recording. I won't go into the technical details, but it allows you to play back and listen to whatever you like, whenever you like.

You really ought to try it.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 14 October 2011 6:17:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a reformed RN listener, I used to love Lucky Oceans's World Music that played each afternoon before Phillip Adams, while Sound Quality was always intended as a forum for independent/offbeat stuff and was a lot more variable.

One of the more important functions of the public broadcaster is to provide access to the avant-garde that doesn't get a play in commercial radio. Some of it's crap, but some of it's exceptionally good. I didn't realise Sound Quality was still going. It's now on my to-be-recorded list.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 14 October 2011 6:59:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I thoroughly agree, as a fellow insomniac. I like the talk programs thru the night, not avant garde music. There are about 9 music programs, and Saturday small hours are nothing but noise of mediocre (to my mind) music.
Music also intrudes into the talk programs, as a relief to the broadcasters, but not to the listeners.
I also was told the equivalent of sod off in putting my opinions to authorities.
See my two recent articles on Radio National..

BTW save the planet - do not iron anything except essentials. Even pillowslips can be folded and go smooth on the shelf. In the small hours there are other things you can do - while listening to any decent programs going.
Posted by ozideas, Monday, 17 October 2011 10:22:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ozideas,

Agreed - I prefer talk programs too. Often, I would do the gardening while listening to Radio national during the day. It's amazing what you can take in mentally while doing a bit of weeding.

I agree also about ironing....having perfected the art of arranging wet washing so that most things don't require ironing - (and what is this thing humans have for straight crisp lines, anyway?) My grandmother apparently used to starch most apparel and even iron sheets!
Posted by Poirot, Monday, 17 October 2011 10:34:58 AM
I've just analysed the results from our poll on the two program. You can see the results at http://whatthepeoplewant.net/polls-blog/october-2011/should-abc-rn-retire-quiet-space-and-sound-quality.html. These are only preliminary findings and the poll is still open where you can vote at http://polling.nationalforum.com.au/index.php?sid=56763&lang=en
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 18 October 2011 11:43:27 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy