The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Corrective rape and violence against lesbians in South Africa > Comments

Corrective rape and violence against lesbians in South Africa : Comments

By Kate Walton, published 20/9/2011

‘You think you’re a man, but I’m going to show you you’re a woman.'

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
...The “gang banging” of lesbians in SA would be one of the more minor considerations for that country, a country which suffers from many and varied extreme social malaises. My advice to you would be to avoid visiting SA under your circumstances, especially if considering campaigning for the rights (?) of homosexuals.

...You enter a “fools-paradise” when embarking on a global campaign for universal acceptance of homosexuality as a normal function in any society.
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 2:02:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver dan showing his/her true colours, condoning violence and murder towards others.
Posted by Kipp, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 2:48:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://www.rape.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=875

Last time I checked, South Africa was the rape capital of the world,
with 1300 woman a day being raped. Perhaps it would be a good idea
to address all rapes and why they happen so commonly in South Africa
and not just the rape of lesbians.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 3:06:46 PM
diver dan: How is the raping and killing of young women a 'minor' concern in any country? I agree that South Africa faces a number of probems currently, but you are treading a fine line when you suggest that the rape of 10 women a day in Cape Town should be dealt with only after other problems are solved.

Yabby: You are certainly correct when you suggest that rape is a much broader problem in South Africa than what I wrote about here. Unfortunately, even if rape became non-existent there (which of course would be the ideal situation), lesbians would still be the target of serious discrimination and sexual harrassment - the theory behind corrective rape, after all, is to 'cure' lesbians of their homosexuality and/or to 'punish' them for it.
Posted by Kate Walton, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 3:48:05 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Diver dan you need a seachange in your attitudes. The type of crime commented on in this article is horrific. It needs to be addressed asap. We should be willing to grant women affected by this type of violence refugee status in Australia.
Posted by David Jennings, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 4:22:38 PM
Absolutely disgusting. Does explode the myth that all cultures are equal. Back here at home we excuse some unsavoury stuff because we are afraid to challenge bad aspects of some culture.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 20 September 2011 4:30:41 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy